Hello everybody

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by gammi0025, Mar 7, 2012.

1. gammi0025

gammi0025 New Member

ok long time viewer first time poster,
    Be gentle I lost my job last April 2011 through my own stupid fault ( caught stealing yeah I know complete idiot I know) but I know have a Police caution, and won't get a reference from my last employer (which is quite understandable).
    As you may have guessed I am now really struggling to find any work in IT. I have 10 years experience in IT support networking and hardware.
    I don't have any IT cert's yet but I am studying for the MCITP in server 2008 R2.
    I get regular phone calls from agency's saying my CV is very good but as soon as mentipon the reason I left my last job i get “ok I’ll just check that with my teamleader, client “ and then never hear any thing again?
    Surely I can get a second chance to prove I am a good employee? My Appraisels from my last employer were excellent and I even got regular pay rises?

Any body any idea’s or advice please ? Also would a MCITP make my cv more creditable and maybe out balance my dubious past ?? anyone

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Gammi, the best advice I can give is to keep on trying. Anyone is going to ask why you left your last employer but some people will still offer you the chance.

A MCITP might help, but if you're already getting calls confirming your CV is good - having another 6 words on it won't make a difference.

There is a good reason you shouldn't burn your bridges when leaving previous jobs - references definitely confirm your skills and more importantly, work ethic.

Good luck.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome & good luck.
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. gammi0025

gammi0025 New Member

Cheers, I thought if I got a Certification It might help my CV and give it some weight. I still get at least 3 agencies calling a week to ask if I'm still looking for work. But as soon as I mention why I left my last job I get the usual answer “ok I'll check with my client and get back to you" that’s the last I hear from them. I would prefer if they just said sorry no we can’t help at least then I'm not waiting around for a reply that will never happen.
    The other problem I have is my CV is so weighted to IT I can't get other jobs in other areas as they say I don't have recent experience.
    I think I’ve pretty much killed off any chance of an IT career now but at least getting my MCITP will keep me busy and give me a goal to aim for.
    Is there anybody who can advise on contract work and would this be easier to get into?

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

You don't tell them you stole? Silly question...but...

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. gammi0025

gammi0025 New Member

sorry dont get you ? but... what and whats a silly question?