1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello-complete newbie here

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by craigthomas75, Jun 16, 2005.

1. craigthomas75

craigthomas75 New Member

Hi,

I too have stumbled across this site today while looking for info on the net regarding courses etc.
    I am completely new to all this and am looking at working towards a career in I.T.
    This sector appears to be a minefield on information and I am not quite sure where I should be starting.
    I have all basic office skills (word, outlook, I.E etc) but nothing on the actual system side.
    I am thinking of enrolling on an A+ and Network+ course-is this a good starting point for me please and can anyone recommend any particular training providers etc.
    I am based in South Wales though can travel if need be,
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Hi there,

The A+ is a good place to start!! I would reccomend having a look initially at the CompTIA website - this will give you plently of information regarding training, testing and the options for you.

http://www.comptia.org

What direction are you looking to go into when you have done certification?

Self study and classroom based training are both good options for the A+.

Sarah

3. craigthomas75

craigthomas75 New Member

Sarah-I am unsure what direction to go into after completing the course but instead I have initially thought if I prefer any specific module then I could go with that and further it by doing a specific course.
    On the other hand if all goes well then I think that MCSE is a possibility-as long as I get to grips with it that is.
    Thanks for info.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Craig. Welcome to CertForums. I can't help you with specific recommendations to training providers but I did want to stop by and welcome you to our little corner of cyberspace. I imagine someone will be alone to answer your questions in a bit. In the meantime, put up your feet, relax, and enjoy the view. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Craig :biggrin
    Definiatly agree in the A+ being the ideal start point for your IT certs.It will provide you with a good basic knowledge of Hardware and O/S's.
    As from where to go from there only you can decide,base it on an area in which you have an interest.

Think alot of the guys will agree that for the A+ you can go the self study route,see how you get on and then decide whether you want to continue along the self study route or invest some cash in a training provider which will provide support etc.

Best of luck :D

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forums mate.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Craig - welcome from me too. Cant argue with the above, and you'll pick loads more help and advice from the Guys the longer you're here. Enjoy :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Craig,

Welcome to CF!
    That is another vote for the A+, Network+ if you want to know more about the system side.
    I want to pursue the MCSE route too, after I have got Network+!
    Let us know what you decide. Hope you stick around :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

Welcome to our place in Cyberspace :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................
  10. craigthomas75

craigthomas75 New Member

Thanks for help and advice so far, glad I was looking at starting in the right area anyway.
    I plan to do the A+, Network+ while still in my current job, then try to gain employment and work towards an msce from there hopefully.
    If I fail to find employment after the initial course then I will just carry on with my present job until I do the mcse.
    Does anyone think it is possible to get a job after doing the A+, Network+