Hello certforums

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by DCuumins, Jul 12, 2010.

1. DCuumins

DCuumins New Member

Just signed up and saying hello.

This looked like a good site to find loads of useful advice.

I have recently been made redundant from the construction industry but been getting qualified in IT beforehand while working. I was studying through advent before they went bust and left me in debt with only partial training:x

Finding it hard to get a starting position as I have little/no experience just microsoft certs and comptia A+ at the moment. A lot of entry level roles always seem to ask for 1-2 yrs experience, is this the norm??

I am also thinking of doing computer science degree through the open university just not sure if this could be a waste of time or a big help in progression in the it industry. Any advice is appreciated.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-685
  2. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

The computer science degree would certainly give you a good foundation of theory. Whether it's worth it to you to spend several years in school depends on what you plan to do after you graduate.

4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hello.:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If a job is truly an entry-level job, it doesn't require experience. After all, by definition, an entry-level job is a job in which you ENTER the career field.

Now, that's not to say that employers won't try to get someone with experience to fill a job posting that an entry-level tech could do... and in this employment market, they could very well get someone experienced who is hungry enough to take it. However, if they don't get someone that meets those experience criteria, they'll interview anyone who they feel is a strong candidate. The best way you can set yourself ahead of the competition is with the A+, Network+, and MCDST certifications.

A degree can sometimes make you look more attractive to employers. However, I wouldn't recommend getting a degree in lieu of getting a job working in IT. Someone with a few years of real-world IT experience will almost always look more attractive to an employer than someone with no experience and a degree. Therefore, if you decide to pursue a degree, I would recommend getting a degree WHILE working in IT.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!