Hello and advice please.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by beardo, Nov 11, 2008.

1. beardo

beardo New Member

Hello all. I have a keen interest in computing and am a competent user. I've worked for many years in the Motor Trade and am now looking for a career change. So IT seems the way to go, or is it? Looking at doing the CompTIA+ and N+ with NitLC as I don't think I am confident enough to self learn. I think the tutor support would be an advantage for me. So, my question is. Is the IT industry worth getting into and a safe bet? I ask this because I have been told that getting employment is difficult due to the numbers of qualified people exceeding the demand for them. I don't want to spend £x and several months studying to then find that getting a job is going to be nails. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: Nowt yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

The 3 certifications that are recommended are the A+, Network+ and the MCDST to start off with. How you go about it is up to you. However if you want/need tutor support then I would recommend contacting your local college and seeing if they do/run the MS & Comptia courses as normally they will be cheaper.

As for

It's the same as any profession, I'll use nursing and midwifery as an example. There's a shortage of them in one news article and too many of them in another. The question is, how much do you want to enter the IT field? It took me 5 years, it's taken someone else I know 10 years, and on the other hand I've known people who have entered the IT field almost straight away.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Welcome Beardo to CF. You are already on the correct track sinceyou have decided to go first with A+ and N+, but still consider self study because its not capital intensive; and did i hear someone say "I don't think I am confident enough to self learn":( dude you better starting having a very strong positive attitude or else you wont actually get much in life unless you want to feel sorry the rest of your life...

The IT industry is worth getting into, and you wont be having problems getting employment if you would actually deliver and thats what everything is all about... Goodluck with the studies and lose that low esteem attitude of yours
    :)

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

My *personal* opinion is that in the current climate getting *any* job will be hard - and that goes for IT as well. As an example, there are reported to be a fair amount of redundancies happening at one ISP that has recently been absorbed by another ISP.

If your proposed tuition means you have to borrow money to fund it then I'd double the warning. You need to be *very* sure that you will get a job and be able to repay the loan.

Sorry to sound negative! My best advice is to examine how motivated you really are. If you feel that this is the way to go then have a stab at say the A+ with self-study. It won't cost you a lot and you may discover whether IT is really for you.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. beardo

beardo New Member

Don't get me wrong, I am positive. I just feel that I need to give myself the best chance to get the qualification. This is due to leaving school with next to nothing and not doing anything about my education since. (33 now) I have just finished my level 2 Maths and English (equivalent to GCSE A to C) and am now ready to learn a trade. I would imagine that most IT professionals leave school with a good set of qualifications. Had I applied myself at school I may have been one of them. It's never too late.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done on passing the English & Maths.

Not all IT pros have good qualifications, some get into IT with no realated qualifications.

Getting th A+, N+ and MCDST would be a good idea, try and get a job as soon as you can whilst studying the A+ and you can do the other certs whilst getting experience.

IT is very hard to get into and the starting pay is crap but once you progress everything moves up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. beardo

beardo New Member

Cheers Greenbrucelee. That's the route I am going, A+ N+ and MCDST. I am prepared for beans on toast for a while once I have my foot in the door. Or maybe just toast in the current economic climate. :rolleyes:

I am glad I found this forum, I am sure I may need some friendly advice in the future. :D

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

THis is a good place and if you stick around and get your IT knowledge you could give others advice too.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions this is what this place is for.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?