Hello all!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by tony_baduk, Oct 13, 2005.

1. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Hi all,
    Thought I'd introduce myself to you all. It's great to be part of this forum - some well knowledged posters here.

I am 23 years old and my job at the moment is a combination of I.T Manager and Graphic Designer for a small business.

As they are a relatively small company, the career prospects are dim. At the moment I am earning quite a decent amount but in a year I would like to look elsewhere.

I would like to stay in the I.T arena but as my BA(Hons) in Media & Communication won't get me an I.T job, I feel a qualification such as an MCSA or MCSE is the way forward. This is why I am looking at the distance learning companies such as Advent and Computeach.

Or I may decide to study myself but what books would you recommend for these courses?

I have looked at doing the A+ and then the Network+, which if I'm corrected will be equivalent to 1 MCP.

Looking forward to your posts.

Certifications: BA (Hons) Media & Comms
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

You may find that unless you've got thousands of £'s lying around to pay for courses, that self study will be the better option.

The A+ is always a good start, as it will prove you have the fundamental skills required in any IT role.

Take a look around the various forums, I'm sure that you will find answers to your questions.

:biggrin

Oh, one more thing, for A+ there is only ONE man, Mike Meyers

3. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Welcome Tony to CF..
    You will get lots of help on here..
    Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi tony_baduk - good to have you here. A very warm welcome to you. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Tony,

Welcome to CF. The experience you have sounds good from an employers point of view and any degree is a sign of good education- well done!

I would buy the Mike Myers book "All in one" and see how you like it. It is a good foundation for whatever road you want to take afterwards.

As for the MCP bit, no. You only achieve MCP status after taking a Microsoft exam. You might be confused as A+ and N+ count as electives for the MCSA.

All the best :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

welcome to the forums mate!

:tongue

Certifications: ECDL
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Tony. Welcome to CertForums. I agree with Boyce. While the combination of the A+ and Network+ plus can substitute for an elective exam on the MCSA, they do not grant you MCP status. Sorry about that. You'll have to take and pass a MS cert exam to get that. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums, Tony!
    Best of luck with achieving your IT
    certifications. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to our place :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Hi again all,
    Thanks so much for your warm welcome -it's the best welcome I've had on any forum. :)

I have been doing some searching and found that my local university (UCE) is actually doing the MCSA course for a bargain (compared to Computeach and Advent) £708.00 + £45 for exams.

I'm quite tempted to be honest, what do you guys think? Is it worth going to Uni to do this course and has anyone experienced this at any Uni?

The course is a Microsoft MCSA 2003 and will last to 6-12 months.

Tony

Certifications: BA (Hons) Media & Comms
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd say "go for it", Tony. It's a fraction of the cost of a private training vendor. I was faced with the same decision originally...go the private route or go uni. I chose uni and now have a bachelor's in "Computer Network Support". It didn't map to any one cert but did cover A+, Network+, Windows 2000 plus Linux Red Hat, intro to databases, desktop support, Cisco and a few other areas.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290