Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by timr, Jan 5, 2012.

1. timr

timr New Member

How are you guys doing? The name is Tim, I'm originally from Ireland, but living in the big shmoke (London) now, and really just trying to get my foot in my door to the IT world :)

I've been a long time lurker of the site, and its got some real invaluable information on here, so I thought I would sign up, and see what happens.

Cheers,

Tim

2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi Tim,

Welcome to CF! Are you studying towards any IT Quals at the moment? Stick around here mate because there are a lot off people on this Forum who can give you some great advice and point you in the right direction for your chosen IT career.

All the very best.

Rob

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. timr

timr New Member

Hi pal, thanks for the kind words, as for studying, I am yeah, I'm at a bit of a cross roads though haha, I've posted a thread elsewhere asking for advice, so hopefuly, the kind folks here will be able to point me in the right direction :)

Cheers

4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

I think proberly the best place to start would be to do your CompTia A+ (the CompTIA A+ certification validates foundation-level knowledge and skills necessary for a career in PC support. It is the starting point for a IT career). I am currently studying towards this at the moment but it's taken me a while to go through it due to work and getting married last August, but it depends on the individual themselves when they think they are ready for the exams. There are two types of exam for the A+

The Essentials and The Practical Application, each exam has 100 questions you need to answer but you would need to get a score of 675 or above for the Essentials and a score of 700+ for the Practical Application on a scale of 100-900. You can find out more information by going to the CompTia Website at CompTIA.

I would recommend getting this book CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Meyers: 9780071614870: Books by Mike Myers.

Also you can use another resource at Professor Messors Website were he has videos in chunk sized bites you can watch and are very interesting and are FREE!

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training.

Once you have passed these two exams people tend to study towards the N+.

Regards

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Already posted on your other post, but welcome to Cert Forums Tim.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA