Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dan2107, Mar 8, 2010.

1. dan2107

dan2107 New Member

Hi,

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself to the forums as a new member. I am looking to pursue a new career in IT, having worked in railway engineering for the past ten years. My past role involved a lot of computer aided design work, so I am familiar with using computers and know the basics. I'm looking to get myself qualified, but not too sure where to start. Database administration appeals to me as I have played around with SQL in the past. From what I can gather the ideal course would be the MCDBA, but not sure where to start. I am currently employed in sales, hopefully for a temporary period while I train. Would it be worth doing a tech support or systems engineer course and getting a foot in the door in the IT world while training? Any advice would be warmly welcomed :D

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually, I would probably stick to the DBA side of things if that's what you're interested in, I can't see the point in going down a different route if you're not interested in it long term.

Have a look at the SQL MCTS and then move towards the MCITP in SQL (by the looks of things the MCDBA is pretty much retired now).

Getting work as a DBA won't be easy with little previous experience but it won't hurt your chances if you start hanging around dedicated SQL forums to pick up knowledge.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Most people don't start out as DBAs... they typically start out in IT and work into a DBA role over time. However, it's certainly something to shoot for long term.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA