Hello all!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by wilbishardis, May 19, 2009.

1. wilbishardis

wilbishardis New Member

Hi everybody, here's my intro, thanks for reading!

I have recently decided to study for the A+ and Network+ certifications to get myself an entry-level IT job.

I've just got back from nearly a year's worth of travelling and was hoping to get a career started in publishing (I've got a degree in Media Comms). Unfortunately there's not much out there for people with no experience at the minute (I worked in a factory to save for the travelling!), and seeing as I have a big interest in IT and some basic knowledge from fixing mate's PCs while at school/6th Form, I thought it would be a good way to get my foot on a ladder (even though it's not degree-related).

After doing some research and spending a while on these forums; it seems like it's a good idea to get Mike Meyer's A+ book as a starting point - it seems a lot of people think that self-study is better than distance learning (which is great because I'm skint). I'd like to think that I'm fairly intelligent (!) and could sort out a study program using the MM book for the material, saving myself £400 in distance learning fees. Do you reckon that's realistic?

So, any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance.

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

I used the MM AIO book to self-study the A+ - so what you are proposing to do is achievable.

Also, I'd recommend getting the PC Technician Street Smarts book by James Pyles and a cheap pc for you to tinker with.

Anyway, good luck with the studies and if you get stuck you can ask for help/advice on here.

Cheers

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF

The MM book is the most popular book on this site, so it would be a good book to invest in, and plenty of help on this site understanding its content. Good luck:biggrin

WIP: C++ and A+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. wilbishardis

wilbishardis New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice; I'll definitely invest in the Meyer's book, and have a look at some others that have been suggested.

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your studies

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to the Forum.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+