Hello All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by 3rdtimelucky, Feb 20, 2008.

1. 3rdtimelucky

3rdtimelucky New Member

More fool the person that hired the bloke, is it the blokes fault of the person dumb enough to not have tested his knowledge before hiring him

2. 3rdtimelucky

3rdtimelucky New Member

Forget angels, they are too busy playing harps and floating on clouds to be bothered to rush in anywhere, anyway they are probably doing help desk work fixing printers

3. 3rdtimelucky

3rdtimelucky New Member

Yes, I think your advice is mistaken, I came for advice got it, was not really impressed with it, I would have expect something along the lines of "yeah, that's not a bad idea", it's more of "hey, we have just spend a large chunk of our lives posting on this forum therefore we must be right"

I got the impression that you want to take the wind out people sails, and at the slightest hint of anyone showing any sign of enthusiasm you all seem to knock them back.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you just wanted us to tell you what you wanted to hear, then you didn't come here really wanting advice. If what you had said was not a bad idea, I certainly would have said, "Yeah, that's not a bad idea."

We haven't spent a large chunk of our lives posting on this forum. We HAVE spent a large chunk of our lives in IT. We've started our careers, we're doing well in our careers. We've been where you are, we've seen people succeed, and we've seen people fail. That's why we know what we're talking about... not because we post, but because we've experienced it.

We're not taking wind out of anyone's sails... we're trying to tell you where the rocks are so you can sail for many, many enjoyable years to come. We know how to keep the wind in your sails... if only you will listen. If not... well, then, enjoy the rocks. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its not that the people on here don't want you to achieve your goal its exactly the opposite, we all would be delighted if you got a Cisco job as your first IT role but it isn't very likely.

Just to give you an idea BosonMichael works for a company called Boson (quel suprise)who produce practice exams he has a lot of experience in the IT field so do many of the members on here. The advice people give on here is never to stop you from getting your goal its to get you to your goal in the best way.

Enthusiasm is a good thing but you need to prepare to put the work in. If you believe your going to get a job in newtorking configuring cisco hubs and switches just because you have the CCNA then go ahead but it'll be long hard road for you.

You need to get a job ASAP whilst doing your N+ to gain experience even if it is in desktop support (is that a bad thing?) and after a while ask your employer if you can help out in your own time on the servers or if they will consider training you. But don't get the CCNA and expect a full blown networking job as you will be more than likely dissapointed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

No, it sounds more like you came on here looking for an answer you didn't get, and based on the backgrounds and experience of the people who have taken the time to reply to your question, I'd be inclined to trust their advice over some mate who does the job you want to do.

I think a point you have missed out throughout is that the Comptia and MS certifications are experience-based and not just a pretty piece of paper. You need a certain amount of actual hands-on experience in order to undertake the courses and pass the exams, it's not the other way around. Once you have passed the exam, the certification benchmarks your experience and tells future employers that you are capable in that field.

There are people of course who take the certifications before gaining the necessary experience - their CVs may be littered with certs but they're unable to take the technical tests as they've never tried it outside of the exam framework, and struggle in interviews and consequently don't get hired.

The technical tests are often designed according to the company's infrastructure to assess how well candidates can manage in that real-life framework; they are also intended to assess the areas of the candidate's strengths and weaknesses. Ultimately, they confirm that the candidate indeed has the skillset to be capable of doing the job.

IT is an extremely competitive field, especially at the entry-level, so from an employer's perspective, if they have to choose between certified candidates and those without, it's less likely they'll opt for the latter unless the candidate has sufficient work experience to make him or her stand out. You will also have to deal with recruitment agents first, who have a set checklist provided by the employers, and if the employers are specific about certifications then they probably won't be giving you a call.

If you are serious about trying to get work in this field, then reread all the above posts and the advice which the other members have patiently given. If not - well then, happy sulking :tune

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

:thumbleft Well put Harpistic Rep Left

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Kewl! :biggrin

Change the industry and it sums up my day... (on a side project, that is) :blink

9. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Back to 3rdtimelucky - if you keep hearing the same thing again and again, chances are it's true. You've got nothing to lose by spending your time churning your way through courses which no doubt you'll ace, but it can only help your CV and chances by putting yourself on the same level as other candidates.

I seem to be a poster gal for lucking my way into jobs, but what you are being told on here - and what I will say too - is that starting at the bottom is the norm, and to expect that when you're jobhunting.