Hello all!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Chopperchand, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hello all

I am new to this forum, and wanted to say hello!:D Also wanted some advise. I am split between network+ and security+. I want to do MCSA/MCSE. I am currently work on a helpdesk. I do basic network support as well.

Which one should I do? or should I do both before MCSA/MCSE

Thanks for any help

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi and welcome to CF :)

Since you're currently doing helpdesk then I would recommend doing up to the MCSA level only until you progress to a higher position.

And that doesn't mean 1 year at level 1 support.

To be honest, if you do the Network+ you will find that it'll give you a good foundation for the 70-291 course/exam.

If you can I would recommend doing the A+, Network+ and the MCDST first, but the decision is yours at the end of the day.

Good luck with your studies.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Neither to begin with. Start with the A+, N+, MCDST, have a pint and then re-assess. :D

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

As @ wagnerk
    I agree since.......
    I just did the 291 classroom course and my N+ skills where an immense help, not only in understanding concepts but also completing the practice labs.

I you are going down that route my advise is therefore do Network+ first.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  7. Chopperchand

Hi, Thanks for the reponses and welcome messages. It makes sense, as the mention certs will give me the foundation I need to do the MCSA 70-270, 70-291 & 70-290 exams and I will also have certs that I can use towards gaining MCSA status.

I will continue studying the Network + as I have already started using Sybex books. OSI model chapter is abit diffcult to take in, But where there is a will there is a way!!!

Does anyone know any good books/sites/providers I can get practice questions from.

Will keep you posted on my progress:)

8. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  9. Chopperchand

Hi all,

Just had an interesting turn of events at work, as we are looking to move to office 2007 and upgrading exchange to 2007 as well as other projects over the coming year. We are having an expansion in my department. There are two teams being created. I am in the Desktop support team. I have therefore been given the chance to do extra training at the companies expense. My Manager has recommended MCDST, As with my earlier post I have started N+. I haven't told him I am studying this in case they withdraw the training offer. I am therefore going to put N+ on hold and do MCDST before going back to N+. What do you think? such I give up on N+ and just do self study and get MCSA certified on completing of my MCDST. Also can you give me any pointers on the best way to study for MCDST certifcation.

Finally training that the company is going to pay for result!!!!! lol 8)

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you do the A+, N+ and MCDST then they count towards electives for MCSA.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Chopperchand

I have just checked microsoft's website and they say that MCDST counts towards the MCSA so I think I will do the MCDST via the company and then take MCSA. Thanks for your help Bruce

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Remember the A+ and N+ do aswell having those three are electives that you don't need to do for the MCSA.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?