Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by deoglover, Feb 10, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, the exam paper doesn't change every month. There's typically a pool of questions from which each test taker's questions are drawn. The questions in the pool are refreshed periodically, usually with new questions being "beta tested" as unscored questions, then added to the pool permanently. Old questions are rarely removed except for technical inaccuracy or updates to technology that make them irrelevant - old questions are usually removed whenever an exam is completely redone, like the new A+, for example. Some of the more popular exams are refreshed more often; other less popular ones are not refreshed at all.

No, it's not CompTIA or MS or Cisco selling questions to BD companies. All three of those companies have come out openly against braindumps, as braindumps damage the integrity of their certification programs. Some have even sued braindump companies and put them out of business.

So how do the braindump companies get questions? From what I understand, it's pretty easy in third-world countries to pay under-the-table money to a testing center that allows individuals to come in and copy the contents of the exams. Dude, they've even got graphical screen shots of some of the exhibits... there's really no other way for them to get that information unless they've got an inside source at a testing center.

Alternatively, I would guess that those braindump companies are making enough money to open their own testing center that looks legit on the outside, but enables them to copy exam content at their leisure.

Most braindump content comes from one or two main sources. Most every braindump company steals from those main one or two companies and offers them at a lower price (what are those larger braindump companies going to do, yell and scream that those smaller braindump companies are stealing their... umm... stolen content?). :rolleyes:

The only weapon we have against braindumps is to:
    1) educate the IT community by telling them why it's wrong to use and support braindumps. They might seem like an attractive option to someone who wants to quickly advance in their career, but in the long run, it damages their career, as well as the careers of others in the form of lost opportunities and damage to the reputation of the certification program ("If that's the best an MCSE can do, I won't hire another one").
    2) provide high-quality alternatives at an affordable cost. No, not $99 for every product, or $19 per exam... but still, affordable. That's MY contribution to the cause.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

They are basically ripped straight off the testing screen by unscrupulous people without a shed of moral fibre to their being. They either write down or memorise the whole pool of questions by either taking the exam over and over again or by getting a bunch of people together to compile the lists. Then they try and come up with the correct answers, which in many cases are totally wrong. Then they sell the dubious package n the Internet under the guise of legitimate study material.

Much of this activity takes place in countries that don't have the same culture or respect for copyright that we do.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Has anyone actually been stripped of their IT certs because they used BDs? I seriously doubt it.

Why do MS etc. use the same pool of questions in countries where copyright means nothing? Why not release separate pool of questions that can be ripped off but they would mean nothing outside of their own country? just a thought. 8)

Hopefully MS etc. will finally get their finger out and do something about it however I feel we will have threads like this for many years to come. :(

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It is a real shame and to be honest it is the one and only reason that I have not bothered to pursue any more certs. I feel that my MCSE is not recognised for what it is and god only knows that I worked hard for it :(

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thank you BBM, that reply did help and I have left you some Rep.

Very impressed with that post.:thumbleft :clap

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That's a real Shame Pete, you've lost the faith.:(

So what's SBS all about?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. BosonMichael

I know of one. I've probably helped to get a few more busted, though.

Because:
    1) They're probably unsure as to the countries where it's being abused.
    2) Some test takers would simply travel to that country to pass the test, especially test takers that live in or near that country.
    3) It ain't cheap or easy to create high-quality exam questions, let me assure you. What should they do, create questions that are extremely easy in that country? Then point 2 would especially apply.

If they want to stop the abuse from happening in those test centers, they should institute better monitoring programs for those test centers and sink some teeth into those that do not comply. Or just shut down testing in certain countries. It's their program; they can do whatever they want.

Unfortunately, if those testing centers are shut down, they'll just find another place from which to cheat. The only way that the braindump companies will go out of business is if WE don't make it profitable for them to be in business. Refuse to buy their stuff. Tell others to avoid using them.

MS can only do so much. They've already sued one with the initials TK, but they're not based in the US or UK, so that makes it somewhat difficult to pursue justice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, if you don't pursue those certifications, THEY will have them, and you will not. Yeah, it sucks that the MCSE has been watered down over the years... but NOT pursuing them sucks worse than pursuing them. Employers (including me!) will view your apathy toward certifications as a lack of initiative and motivation on your part. Whether your motivation/initiative exists or not is irrelevant... it's all in the image that not getting (or actively avoiding) certifications portrays.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well said, to be honest when I was studying for the 70-291 I was getting slightly disillusioned with certs and was seriously thinking about jacking the whole thing in.

I know some guys who have MCSE:bd (my take on it!) on their C.V but can barely throw together a SBS with a few PCs on the domain. On the other hand I know a few MCSEs who support a multi-national company and have obtained their certs legitimately and they had to as there is no hiding place when you are supporting complex networking environments. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well as you know I work for myself, so as my own employer your point is a mute one. Also my disillusionment with certifications is not apathy, far from it, I care and I do my bit to fight the BD rot. I have just decided that the knowledge itself is more important than the piece of paper. I am not saying that everybody should forget certs, on the contrary, I am saying that people should go for the right certs, they should try and get qualified in the technologies that they are working with on a daily basis. For me, I am already over qualified for what I generally do in a day, hence I have jumped off the cert wagon until either my daily practical experience changes or something else happens that changes my mind.

So to answer UCM, My interest in SBS comes from the fact that it is the most common product used here on the Gold Coast. I am going out today to do yet another site survey with a customer that is running SBS. I have run SBS 2003 for the last 18 months at home too, just so that I can get as much hands on with it as possible. I never said I would stop studying, that's a different matter entirely. If you want to progress in IT you must study new technologies for your entire career.

11. BosonMichael

The knowledge IS more important than the piece of paper. Problem is, for those people who rely on someone to hire them, certifications are a necessity. Unlike programmers, who can proudly show off their code portfolio, it's sorta difficult to "prove" to a hiring manager that you can administer a network; certifications are the closest thing we have to proof.

That said, I can understand why you, personally, wouldn't care to pursue certifications any longer.

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I might change my mind, who knows, I'm a fickle old git :twisted: