Hello all! Pleased to be a part of it all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ristta, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ristta

ristta New Member

Hi everyone, I'm a complete newby to the IT world and would like to seek employment in this field, and thanks to this forum I have already avoided my first mistake with regards to almost joining advent training so I begin with huge thank you, but the forum has left me a little disheartened by the lack of optimism to employment thats available, I have compiled a list of careers that I might persue IT being at the top, as 6 months ago I couldnt even email now I have build my own pc and have put in at least 5 of those months constant self learning all I possibly can and have learned loads and enjoyed myself massivly. I was hoping advice on whether I should look to my other choices. The low entry salaries isnt an issue and again thanks to this forum I have an idea on suitable courses to gain entry whilst studying for higher qualifications, my concerns are I am 34 and live very ruraly in south wales UK and relocation might be an issue but is considerable, am I too old and too detached from the proper world? Also I have read some good reports on justit.co.uk, unfortunate address, but are they any good also freeskills.com seem reputable is this an accurate asumption? As home study is my only option, or should I forget IT for one of the lesser attractive options on my list of careers. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :blink

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

To be honest, if I were you I would actually choose the career that

1. You're most interested in
    2. You can actually see yourself working in
    3. You can see yourself progressing in
    4. Will bring in the money (while love of job/career is good, love doesn't pay the bills)

No-one but you can make that decision.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Welcome to CF! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

No, you're not too old, and self-study is a great option for IT. In fact, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Have no idea about the legitimacy or usefulness of freeskills.com. I'd recommend just getting a couple of books and driving onward!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. nsk

nsk Banned

****spam deleted****