Hello All - Juggling nappies with routers

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bobster, Oct 18, 2011.

1. bobster

bobster New Member

Hi there

I found this forum while searching for CCNA courses. I am based in Derbyshire, worked in IT for about 10 years now (currently working as a senior helpdesk technician). Never really felt the need to get certification and within the last 2 years I've mainly been focusing on my family as I have a little one (nearly 2 year old now, so a hand full!) but with the current restructure in my department and uncertainty about the future. I'm wanting to focus more on my career, developing skills in networking and looking into a CCNA course to get qualified. Then at least I'll have something under my belt.

So, if anyone has any advice/recommendations on CCNA courses (I'm currently looking at courses in Manchester), career advice, juggling nappies with routers :-) or anything you think would be useful for me to consider please let me know or private message me.

That's me in a nutshell.

Thanks

Bob

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Bob,

I recently attended a CCNA classroom based course in London (although I understand they are also held in Manchester) by our resident Cisco Lab Rat. Cannot recommend training enough. Company is www.commsupport.co.uk
    I left a review for members who were shopping around for Cisco training here.
    All the best with your training and career.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Bobster and welcome to CF:), I too would second what Boycie said above. Well regarding juggling nappies can't comment on that yet as we're expecting our first little one just before the end of November this year.

I have taught above it and how this would impact my learning as I work in IT and as we all know technology evolves faster than one can blink their eyes. Owing to this I recently got an ipad 1 by the wife as a pressie and this has come in handy as I travel to work by train for about an hour plus each way daily.

I have used this ipad so far to read my ebooks as well as watch cbt tech videos. Well just an idea and so far it has helped and hoping when baby arrives this would help too with my studies to keep abreast.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi, I can't comment on any CCNA stuff but I do have experience with trying to study with children. I've got 3 and my youngest is 18 months old so after I completed my vcp3 a couple of years ago my studying ability had taken a complete nosedive into pratically nothing, by the time there all in bed I'm knackered. Now though I'm trying to get back into the game again and the best thing I have found for me is video training packages.

I watch them when its my turn to do the cooking and listern to the MP3's that come with them whilst driving to and from work and at lunchtime sometimes. I can then play about with the items I'd listened too during the day in the evening and from what I remember and labbing I pretty much can cover everything. I still only have an hour or two an evening to lab because of the bedtime routine and weekends are the same I simply cannot study at all during the day as children and Mrs Dales require my complete attention during their waking hours.

Also when I get a chance I read the related material either official books or whitepapers from the websites. I certainly found it a bit of a struggle to get back into the studying mindset though after the 2 year break.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. bobster

bobster New Member

Hi Boycie

Thanks for the advice, I've PM Cisco Lab Rat and waiting for a reply.
    ---
    Congratulations Onoski!

Hope the birth goes smoothly for you and your wife. I'm sure you'll have plenty of people to go to for baby advice but if you're stuck and need some help just PM me :-)

Mmmm...Ipad...wonder if I can convince the wife.....

----
    Hi Dales

I'm struggling with one toddler already and you have 3 kids! Getting time to study is difficult by the time my wife and I have settled the little one we are usually too knackered to do anything. On top of this, household chores (I did not know a toddler could generate so much clothes to wash) as well as trying to get the bathroom decorated for the wife.

Saying this I think if it is what I really want, the Mrs would be supportive and come to some arrangement that I can have certain evenings to concentrate on my study. I'm just exploring the idea and information gathering to see the best route to take to get into networking and qualified.

I'll try to listen to MP3's while cooking etc. I like that idea.

6. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Reading it now. I will reply today

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree