Hello all. And request for advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by spoovy, Dec 31, 2010.

1. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

Hello all. I just thought i'd better introduce myself before asking for the advice.

I'm currently out of work after nearly 10 years in development planning. The property development business will remain pretty screwed for the foreseeable future and tbh i was never really happy in the business anyway, so i've decided to try to take the opportunity and move into something else - IT. I'm thinking desktop support > sys/net admin (in time).

I realise IT's in a difficult state as well but i figure that at least when the economy starts growing again IT skills will be back in demand pretty early on. And i'm genuinely interested in IT (unlike planning!) so hope I can carve a more satisfying career out of it, even if it is less well paid. I also have plenty of time on my hands as a dole scrounger so I feel I should take this opportunity that might never come again to switch career.

My main problem currently is that I know nothing about the industry. I don't know anyone in IT who might advise me except for a mate's missus who works as an IT recruitment consultant (despite seemingly knowing literally nothing about IT). She hasn't been any use so far.

Skills-wise all I really know so far is basic windows-user level knowledge (bit of XP; bit more Win 7; bit of Office), and a reasonable amount of Linux (nothing fantastic but i'm pretty competent - simple bash scripting, system config and admin; I could set up a small office with Linux).
    I'm studying for CompTIA A+ at the moment and i'm confident i'll get that easy enough. I'm also trying really hard to bag a 1st line/desktop support role of some type but obviously it's really difficult at the moment.

So the question is what else should I be spending time on? I'm good at self-led learning, but there are so many unknowns out there about where things are heading and what to learn for the best it's really difficult to focus on anything. I'm not anti-MS but I would prefer to stick with Linux if I could. But if I need to know MS to get a job i'm happy to do that, i'm open minded about my future career.

So, what would be next step? I would go for N+ afterwards I suppose, but what then? MCDST is all about Win XP and that should be gone in 6 months (the exam will be anyway). What should I be learning the rest of the time -what should I be "playing with"? Should I be learning Win 7 in depth, or getting stuck into PowerShell? Or just do bare minimum MS stuff and keep polishing my Linux skills?

Any advice welcome. But try to keep it constructive please! :wink:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: CCNA
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd advise concentrating your efforts on MS. There are hardly any Linux jobs out there and I've never seen an entry level job.
    XP is still the predominant OS in business environments so I'd advise bagging the MCDST before it retires (I think that's end of June 2011).

I'd also think about the Network+. I'm not sure about the value of the cert, especially since it is quite expensive and has to be renewed every 3 years now, but the knowledge is invaluable. I'd study the material until I thought I could pass and then make the decision on whether to splash the cash or not. I found it very useful to do this before the MCDST. Take a look at the Professor Messer videos online, free A+ and Net+ courses :biggrin.

After that I'd look at Vista/W7. Personally I think the 70-620 (Vista) exam is a good starting point for both Vista and W7 client support for entry level techs. It covers all the basics. The 70-680 (W7) hardly overlaps with the 70-620 at all and concentrates more on the additions to Windows 7.

As for jobs, emphasise customer service skills in your CV. Most companies know they can teach tech knowledge to someone who's keen but teaching customer service skills can be a bit hit-or-miss. They will look for people who have already proven they have these skills in a work environment.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

Cheers that Prof Messer site is excellent. Good advice too i'm sure - i just read on MS' website that XP is officially supported for another 4 years (and presumably this could be extended too), so I should definately get my MCDST sorted before it departs. Will probably make that next on the list after A+.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Even if xp wasn't supported you should realise that many businesses cant afford to upgrade just because Microsoft decided to bring out a new operating system. Many businesses trust xp alot too so they dont upgrade for that reason too.

The MCDST would be a good choice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

I read that the MCDST requires you to have been working as an IT professional for at least 6 months. I never have at all so I doubt i'd be able to meet this criteria.

6. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Thats more a recomended experience level, for example, I recently passed Security+ which recomends 2 years experience as an IT security professional... I've never worked in IT.

If you can handle A+ and Network+ ok, MCDST is the next step for a lot of people on here.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

TBH you can do the MCSDT with no IT experience.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They recommend it, but it is not a requirement.

I'd recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST (or MCTS/MCITP for Vista/7) for someone who doesn't have any IT experience. But I'd recommend having experience for anything beyond those.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!