Hello - Advent Training advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by GJimbo, Mar 22, 2007.

1. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

Hello all,

I've been browsing the forums for sometime now and decided to join today.

Today I had a consultant come round from Advent Training, called Angela, to give me more information on the MSCE course I'm interested in taking.

The course sounds fantastic. Apparantely, on average their students pass the whole MSCE course within 12-16 months, many of whom manage to start a career within four months once they have achieved MCP level.

The MSCE course costs £4,750, which includes all exam fees (plus any retakes that are required), course material, mentor, class lessons and tutor support. Apparantely, if I was to go the self study way, it would cost £200 per an exam (11 exams x £200 = £2,200), so in actuality I'm paying £2,550 for all the above.

My only other choice would be to take the University route, which would cost me in excess of £12,000, plus 3-4 years.

Has anyone had any experience with Advent Training and what are your thoughts on the information provided?

Is it better to be certified or to work towards a degree?

Yours thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, this is a fantastic forum with a close and supportive community... I'm now glad to be apart of it.

Thanks

Jimbo

2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im with Advent and i havent any problems with them, although if i had known about self study before i signed up, i would have went that route.

Angela is telling you lots of porkie pies there, exams are alot cheaper than £200 each. A+ exam is £108 and the MS ones that ive had so far have been £88 (i think). Also, i havent had any sign of a job offer either (and im MCP), and i dont know anyone else from there who have, i know a few people who are past MCDST stage now.

The times to pass sound suspicious aswell, 12 months for MCSE!!! is very unlikely, and i know some people who i met at Advent in August last year, who still havent passed the A+.

I havent had any problems with them tho, just dont be taken in by their sales patter coz its all BS.

Oh, and welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Tom3

Tom3 New Member

Don't sign anything until you have read these forums!

2k+ is a lot of money!!

I advise: when you make a decision, wait at least 3 weeks before commiting yourself.

Give yourself time to look at all other options.

Remember this: if it seems amazingly; too good to be true, then it isn't.

Certifications: none
    WIP: deciding
  4. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I really appreciate your honest advice, I'm REALLY happy I came on here first now.

My only concern with self study is really down to not knowing where to start, where to apply for the exams and how it would affecting me applying for an IT career.

Where should I start for more information on self study?

Also, what are your thoughts on a Computer Science degree?

Btw, Angela was an excellent sales woman - not sure if thats a bad thing or a good thing now, lol.

5. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Hi bud,

I am currently about 9 months into the MCSE course with Advent and i've only recently got my MCDST and i'm just finishing the next 70-270 book, so well off the MCSE status as yet. I know that its down to personal circumstances, but i'm an average kinda guy, i've got 2 kids which take up al ot of time but i try to study every day - the thought of myself doing the MCSE in 12 months makes me smile, i'd have no chance !

I totally agree with Raffaz, knowing what i know now then i would definately self study.

I've actaully got a meeting with someone at Advent on the 4th to discuss the job and recruitment bit, but so far i am unimpressed, they don't exactly 'pull out all the stops' but i'll keep anyone interested posted on the subject. In fact, i've got sick of waiting for them and have started applying for jobs myself - i'm just waiting to hear from an entry level position within the NHS which sounds ideal.

If you're unsure as to where to start, then you're in the right place - if the forum isn't top of your favourites put it there now - everything you need to know is available right here, the hard bit is making it happen.

:D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  6. DizzyBlonde

DizzyBlonde New Member

hi, im with Advent doing the MCSA and i was told it would take 2 years to complete. am currently studying the A+ exam and need all the help and advice i can get..:oops:

WIP: A+....working towards MCSA
  7. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Welcome all, you made a great choice signing up here.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

:D Hi and welcome to the best IT forum in the UK called CF.:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Raffaz

10. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

Thank you, Raffaz for the link... there's some real valuable information on there.

Out of interest, those who are taking the Advent route, how much time do you dedicate to studying?

The reason I ask, is simply due to the fact that because I am self-employed, I am able to devote upwards of 20 hrs+ on studying. How does the amount of time you dedicate to studying effect how soon you can progress with Advent?

11. Raffaz

I try and do a few hours a day if i can, obviously the more time you can put in, the quicker you should be to progress. When i get a week or so out from an exam i try and get more study done. Worth mentioning that workshop dates are set, so if your progressing fast then you might have to wait for a date, which will slow you down again. Although Advent are flexible with this and will allow you to sit the exam without attending the workshop.

12. DizzyBlonde

DizzyBlonde New Member

ive been trying to do a few hours a day, some days ive done between 7-10 hours but found that ive read things and nothing has sunk in! is there a happy medium? does anyone have pressure from their other half?

WIP: A+....working towards MCSA
  13. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

If it's not sinking in go through it again and make notes, that way if you get a quiet 15/30 minutes just flick through your notes. This worked for me and so long as you keep going back and adding to your notes as you go along you'll soon start to see the difference and your confidence will grow, believe me, when I first started reading my A+ all in one book I thought OH MY GOD who am I kidding but this technique really helped .I knew nothing before I did the A+ but like I said your confidence will grow.

As for the pressure from the other half I'ts upto both of you to understand each others needs and to find a happy medium.

Good luck on all counts,hope this helps.

14. Raffaz

You need to take a 15 min break every hour or so. Or do it the other way like me :) When i done the A+ i found the best way for things to stick where to actually do them on a spare computer, it sticks much better then :)

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello & Welcome to CF:biggrin

There's some good advice here by Raffaz and Quarky about Advent:clap :thumbleft

At the end of the day it's up to you to make the decision to which path you want to follow.

But, please remember this -
    CF is a gold mine of information and friendly helpful advice. The members here can help point you in the right direction, but it is up to you to put the work in.

No matter which route you take it will be hard and won't come on a silver plate. There are so many factors to consider when learning a new subject such as:- motivation, time management, money, family, work, friends, social life, fitness these are just some of the things. Bear these things in mind before deciding to go self study or with training provider route.

Good Luck!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  17. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

Thank you, guys for the sound advice.

I've just purchased the Mike Meyers All-In-One CompTIA A+ Certification booklet (new edition). Having had a brief look through, I few really confident and happy with my direction at the moment.

Out of interest, how do employers look at those who have self-studied and how do they regard say someone with a Computer Science degree vs someone with MSCE certification?

Do people who have decided to move from sales, for example, into IT experience any problems with employers/interviewers, especially if you don't have a degree?

Is there anywhere/one I can seek for advice on the above questions?

Again, thank you and I really do appreciate the feedback.

18. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

19. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

Hi Mondos and thank you for the link.

There is a lot of conflicting opinions in that thread, although the general impression is that experience with either is much more prefered, or even better, all three.

What are the prospects for becoming a self-employed professional, and do many people take this route after being certified?

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not many but some do, i have run my own business for the past three years. I could earn a lot more working for someone else but i prefer to be my own boss theses days - imho you need to have pretty much already established yourself financially prior to going it alone.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)