1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello! A few questions....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by skynet, Jan 28, 2008.

1. skynet

skynet New Member

Hello everyone!

Stumbled across this forum via the wonders of Google, and it's just what I was looking for!

Been working for an independent computer retailer (building/fixing computers, printers, networks etc...) for the past 4 years and have recently decided to relocate to a better area and further my career - which brings me here! :biggrin

I have been looking at various certifications, but have been left really confused. :blink I'd like to go further into networking, but I'm not sure if going straight into something like a CCNA would useful or whether I would be best looking at a different starting point. A+ seems like I would be getting a cert for what I can already do standing on my head, but again I not sure if it would be worthwhile?

Thanks everyone!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

If you can do the A+ standing on your head then get it, it wont hurt and can only enhance your cv also you should do the N+ before any cisco stuff it'll give you a good grounding.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I agree with greenbrucelee...the A+ is always a pretty good starting point. Before heading off into something like CCNA, I'd suggest getting the A+ and the Net+ certifications to help give you a solid foundation before moving forward.

4. skynet

skynet New Member

Hey, thanks for the advice!

So the N+ is the first stepping stone for Cisco certs? What sort of job opportunities would something like the N+ bring?

5. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It depends on how much actuall Network experience you have. The N+ could reinforce your knowledge or inform you of new stuff, anyhow it will prepare you for the CCNA. CCNA is a hard cert to do and people studying it must have the relevant experience before going anywhere near it.

The A+ and N+ will get you entry level positions but with your experience you could go into 2nd/3rd line support with a view to networking. Also if you decide to do MCSA then the A+ and N+ will count towards it as electives.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Node

Node Byte Poster

Dont waste your time with A+, If you have previous experiance with networking dont do N+ go for the CCNA!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings & Welcome to Cf:sunny

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for A+ and Network+. If you can do the A+ standing on your head, then it should go quickly for you. If you find out there's stuff on the A+ that is useful to you... then all the better, right? :)

Keep in mind that certifications are not just to help you learn new stuff... they're to show potential employers some proof that you have the knowledge. As a result, they look good on a CV, and can give you an edge when the time comes for an employer to decide whether to put your CV in the "keep stack" or the "circular bin".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Another vote for A+ and N+ here...

Welcome to CF! 8)