Hello £500 for A+ course

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by marqueemoon, May 2, 2006.

1. marqueemoon

marqueemoon New Member

Hi forum
    I am new here and appreciate any advice that anyone can give. Thanks in advance.

I have been working in hands on 1st line Helpdesk Support for a couple of years and am looking to start the A+ course soon. My company have made available £500 for me to embark upon any course / courses and I wonder whether anyone can point me in the direction of the best place to go to spend this money.

I was going to just buy the Meyers book, and use available free resources but seeing as I have this budget I may as well use it. It has to be a recognised course provider, meaning I can't just buy CDs off Ebay for example.

Problem is every online E-Learning resource looks the same and for the hundreds of pounds you don't even get the Meyers book, or any other for that matter. Just e-books.

So is there anywhere I can spend the £500 wisely and get the most for my company's buck? They aren't that generous by the way, it's a redundancy perk.

Cheers
    Nick

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Buy the Meyers Book, The Transcender Practice Tests, A couple of old PC's, and pay for the exams.

There you go, I just spent your £500 for you. :biggrin

3. marqueemoon

marqueemoon New Member

Thanks but I still have £500 because the money cannot be used for single books and equipment, only courses offered by learning establishments. Whether some of the online resellers can be classed as such is debatable but one of them is the most likely recipient because it fits in to my schedule.

I will still have to buy the books, the Pc to mess around with etc but really need to spend the £500 because it is on offer.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Can your local college offer anything ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

How about I sell you the book for £500? :blink

We'll split the difference on the beer. :rolleyes: :biggrin

J. :thumbleft

Whoops, and I'll lead you to a really good training provider too - oh, d'oh, you already found it! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

£500 = 250 Bottles of Becks :morebeer No, seriously, it depends on what your employer means by recognised. If you mean they will only give a company £500 for your A+ material then check out CATS , they do a brilliant Classroom course (and CD ROM based home learning) i know- i did it.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. marqueemoon

marqueemoon New Member

:beers2 Good advice, particularly the one about using the money to buy beer! Don't think I'll get that past the company though!

The CATS course looks good value and combined with self study which I was planning anyway can't do any harm. Leaves me a decent balance for the exams which I assume the company will pay for.

Cheers

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thats what i was thinking? what about cisco's ccna at open university? a while back people were saying that was value for money? or are you looking at just the A+?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I'd say check out your local college or ones a little further afield?

I know our local college does the A+ but it's some exstoritionate (spelling?!!?) rate of £800.

For the A+ i'd definaelty try and wangle some kind of books / PC setup....?

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA