Heeelp - Domino experts please help!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Spoke too soon about work being dead!!

My MD decided to upgrade our Domino server on Friday (from 7 to 7.0.3). I don't know what has happened, but it required a reboot and took ages - appeared to be stuck on "saving settings" I suggested that we killed it and started up in last good known, but big boss wanted to leave it as it may have just been taking it's time....left it all weekend and it was at the login screen this morning, so my colleague logged in today and it's now been stuck on "applying setings" for 30 minutes....it is a win 2k3 server and domino and we basically can't do anything (except surf the net until sorted) I need a really quick and simple solution to get things back up and running, but not sure what is best? :blink Please help!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Possible Solution:

You have a password on your console.
    Manage (my comp) the server remotely, go to services and set the lotus domino service to manual start.

e.g. start the service manually.

3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you for your suggestion. Can get to the services, but the domino one is totally greyed out on the start/stop options... all the other services are fine (start / stop options are available)....

4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Are your services locked down? Are you on the local administrator account or have privileages etc... ?

5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Yas...I ran services as local domain admin, and then connected to the server via ip address...

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Service status has changed to starting now, and colleague just checked login screen which is now saying nothing (looks to have progressed a little further of it's own accord)...

7. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Jump into safe mode, change the startup type and restart into normal?

p.s. meh to domino

8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

This only really applies to servers running APC UPS software...so here goes:

Is that server running the APC Powerchute managment software? I believe that this crap software (like domino) is sensitive to Java upgrades etc - the upgrade to another version of Dominio may have updated the Java! Best thing to do is to start up in safe mode and knock off any APC stuff in the services! Just a thought from my previous experience with upgrading Java based programs on our W2K3 servers as it's always the APC stuff that falls over causing "Applying Your Settings" to stay there forever!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you for the prompt. I started it in safe mode, but went to the Lotus Domino service and was able to get it running and accept a couple of q's about the upgrade...then this got it to a stage that, when rebooting normally it was able to continue fine....we are now back up and running :D

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Don't diss Domino...although I'm more of a Microsoft girl, I have grown to really like Domino...it is nearly there - a little more tweaking and it'd be a really good bit of software!!

11. drum_dude

Sorry but have to disagree! I hate it...and with a passion!!!!! I'm not a fan of Exchange (GroupWise is my fave) but Domino and Notes is just one huge job creation scheme!

However, I'm glad you got the problem fixed - regardless of how crap it is you got it sorted! So well done!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

i thought you had to match the numbered spots and place one with the same spot count next to the last one? and blanks count as wild ones, can be placed with any number? and if you can't go ya tap the table for the next player.

Also its fun to stcak them on thier end in long lines and knock them down!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  13. drum_dude

LOL :biggrin:biggrin

14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hmmm... :D

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I can sense a plan coming together :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs