Head in the clouds

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Jun 19, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK, some of you may remember the bloke from my uni who claimed that a 1.6 x2 intel processor ran at 6.something ghz.

Anyway this lad is going to quit uni after his first year as he thinks it was too hard etc. He tells me now hes going to do some cisco certification and has been told he will be gettin a 35k a year job.

Is he pulling a fast one, or am i wasting my time on my degree course etc??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

he is more likly deicded to opt for the distant learning courses, that cost £x,xxx

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First, if he thinks that what you're doing is "too difficult", he won't make it through Cisco.

Second, if he DOES make it through Cisco, the chances of him getting a job as a Cisco router admin without experience is extremely-slim-to-none.

Therefore, I don't think he's "pulling a fast one"... I think he's completely clueless about the "real world" of IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

He is talking cr@p, dont worry about it :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

ZX, you have decided upon your path and are working hard at sticking to it. Don't let some clueless idiot bull $h1t you.

He will fall flat on his face and get left behind. 8)

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I agree with everything already said.

Plus, ZX, this guy sounds like a complete wally, and that's putting it nicely. Ignore him, you'll do just fine :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

To put in bluntly zx, the bloke is an idiot.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

According to those TV adverts, not only will you get £35k a year, but you'll get a company car, lots of end of year bonuses, etc....

NOT!

If he can't make it thru the first year at Uni (which imo was the easiest year), what makes him think that he'll be able to stick with & pass the CCNA (apart from maybe using braindumps)?

Maybe I'm just blowing off steam, people taken in by doing a 3 months course and expect to walk into a job that really would take a person in the IT field (with a few profesional certs, including the CCNA) at least a few years to get.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Mind you heres a good one.. had a free magazine delivered through the door the other day and it was advertising IT courses.
    Had a look through and was amazed to see that im doing the wrong thing by learning MCSE.

According to this magazine i can earn 45k after doing my A+ and 32k from doing network plus.

Made me laugh for a few mins, sad thing is people not in the know would believe this and think about taking the courses.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This bloke sounds like a tool!:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Crito

Crito Banned

You people are so mean spirited and negative. A real friend would have wished him well even if they disagreed with his decision.

Don't be a two-faced backstabber.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hmm, seemed to have missed the word friend in zx's post, nope can't have done as he mentioned it was a bloke at uni. ;)

13. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

and all that for just a few hours of work done from home...
    I think I've seen the same mag :)

anyway, my kindest regards and best wishes for that bloke ZX.

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A "real" friend would actually inform a friend of a mistake before he/she commits it. If I saw one of my mates fall for one of these marketing ploys, I would be the first one there. There's no backstabing there mate.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Assume much? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well just so people dont think im sperm of the devil i did actually tell him it was bull$H**, but hes one of them people who knows it all etc. And as people have pointed out in here if he cant pass the first year of uni then he really wont have much chance in the real world.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  17. bigyin1979

bigyin1979 New Member

It sounds to me like he is one of those guys that wants all the glory, but do none of the work. I am guessing he has maybe not applied himself well enough so everything has gotten on top of him.

I tend to think that if he cannot apply himself in a learning environment with so much support, self study/TP will be a culture shock to him. Add to this the fact that getting such a well paid job takes a lot of blood sweat and tears I am sure he will be wishing he stayed at university and not went to the pub.:rolleyes:

Anyway all the best to him because we all have times in our life we wish we could have over again myself included.

Cheers,

Gary

WIP: MCSE
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ah! Sounds like management to me.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Managers are a unique breed :D