HDD Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've got two 160GB drives (striped) running on my machine at the moment, serving as a "non-core" drive (ie the OS and applications I deem "core" are installed on a single 160GB drive, whilst the user areas, and non-core applications are on the striped drive.

However, to be honest the drivers for the raid setup are flakey at best (the Mobo is not a brand I would buy again I dont think). Sometimes when I boot up, the drive simply doesnt exist, and it takes several reboots to correct this.

Also, if I'm honest I dont really think I'm making use of the raid setup.

So... I want to strip the drives out, and replace them with a new, single drive. I'm thinking a 1TB drive, possibly up to 1.5TB depending on cost. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good drive?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Check the m/b supports it first !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If it's IDE your after, your going to start to struggle to find one. If your board supports SATA, everyone seems to be giving Samsung Spinpoint F3s a good review.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Fergal1982

yeah its Sata.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Another vote for the Spinpoint F3. Don't try to save yourself a few pennies by going for the F1 though, its still a good drive but a whole hell of a lot noisier.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. Fergal1982

How do I tell? The manual doesnt appear to make any mention.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the spinpoint is good also is the WD caviar black

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I like the WD drives, I have 8 Spinpoints in two NAS's and they have been ok as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. honeymonkey

honeymonkey Bit Poster

Samsung F3 1tb £60, runs a lot cooler then other 1tb drive

Certifications: 10 meter swimming
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

another vote for teh Samsung drives here. I have a 500gb one and that runs fine. (looking to upgrade to 1tb soon!)

WD drives i'm not so hot on as i've had 4 or 5 fail in past years, normally after 6 months to a year.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've had a good pair of Seagate Barracudas, but opinions vary. It seems that every drive manufacturer goes through stretches of having good or bad batches.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I've had 3 seagate harddrive fails in the last 12 months, whilst my WD Cavairs (most of which I got before the Seagates) are still going strong.

So for me it's a thumbs up for WD, and a thumbs most definately down for seagate.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I used to be a big fan of the Seagate Barracudas but I've heard too many comments on reliability recently to continue to trust them. That and the Spinpoint F3 (and the WD Caviar Black) are definitely winning the performance race.

Can't get better without going solid state.

14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Check the manufacturer website for firmware updates - quite often these will comment on h/d capacity supported and you cna then check which BIOS version you're running. If needed, you can then update.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  15. Fergal1982

I should be so lucky

16. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'd have thought that as its an LGA775 board you should be fairly safe as far as HDD support is concerned. Its been a long time since I've come across a HDD compatibility problem anyway.