Have you made the switch?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 31, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A couple of recent threads have got me thinking about this, but how many of you lot have actually made the switch to a *nix based OS as your main desktop OS?

I know that there are a lot of people who 'try' to use linux on the desktop, but usually they always end up switching back to Windows, I'm just curious to know if you have successfully made the switch, or if you have tried and ended up switching back, why did you do so?

I'll get started by giving my reasons, I played round with Linux for a bit, but one thing that I could never grasp was the amount of Commands that are still needed to do things, I liked the point and click that Windows had made me used to and struggled with the use of the command line to install things, change permissions, etc. Ultimately I found it harder to do things than I was used to so I switched back to Windows.

About 18 months ago though I still wanted to get to grips with an OS other than 'doze' so I bought a Mac. BSD based, but very very graphical and point and click! Just the sort of computer I need to use on a daily basis.

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Two years ago is many generations ago in the Linux world. Have you tried anything lately?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I run both Xp and YDL in the house, but i must say my linux box kick the ass off Dual Core PC although it is powered by a Cell BE :p, IMO i think using Linux helps with things like patience and perseverance lol

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nope!

I haven't had the need or time to properly look into it (Something that I think you should do thoroughly before switching).

Besides Freddy, I've become something of a Mac fan! Something nice about knowing that the hardware and the software were designed by the same people and 'just work'. (Makes me lazy, but I can do what I need to do on a daily basis without worry)

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've made several stabs into the World of Linux in the past. Initially I dual Booted my Laptop to Suse several years back, but I found that I was consistently not using it, as everything I needed to do was on Windows. So it got booted.

I've played with Ubuntu a couple of times, both on the Live CD, and through VMWare. In all instances I just couldnt get into it. I dont mind the CLI stuff, but it just didnt do what I like to be able to do (Gaming mainly), so I lost interest.

Recently I came to the conclusion that a machine being used solely for internet access could be sustained in my setup under Linux, and is a good way to get into it and build from there. You've seen my story so far with this. Im considering trying either Debian or the new Fedora when it comes out. Havent decided which yet. I have to say that the nicer feel of the Fedora site attracts me more than the Debian site. Shallow? perhaps, but the feel of the Debian site just makes me think that its more a 'pro' distro. Not quite as clean and attractive, a bit rough around the edges.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just wondering why everyone is keen to try a different desktop OS. As Windows is easy to use its just one less thing to get to grips with, that means you can worry about your Cisco commands instead rather than struggling to change your desktop wallpaper in Linux.

Just for the record I did run Fedora 6 as I had to support a network running it a while back. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. ffreeloader

Debian is not what I would call "rough around the edges". It's the largest, most stable distro you can use. By largest I mean it has more software in its repositories, its official release is by far the most bug-free of the releases, and it covers more hardware platforms than any other distro. It's also the ancestor of half a dozen or so other Linux distributions. It's been built upon so many times because it isn't "rough around the edges".

Yeah, the Debian site is plain. That really amazed me at first too. I almost didn't try it because of how the site looked. But it reflects Debian's philosophy. Debian cares far more about making it work right, keeping it bug-free, and giving you the freedom to change anything you want, etc... than making it initially look pretty. That you can do all by yourself. Remember, this isn't the Windows world we're talking about here. You can change the look and feel of everything. You can download and install at least a dozen different gui's from the Debian repositories. You can modify any of those that you like, any way you like.

Debian is built to give you a solid, stable, vastly versatile operating system. What you do with it is up to you. That's the Debian philosophy. You don't like the default desktop or gui? Change it. You don't like the default web server? Change it. You want another option for a dns server? Change it. You want a different database server? Change it. You want a different browser? Change it. You want a different email client? Change it. You want a different email server? Change it.

There are multiple options for anything you can think of inside Debian. I don't believe any other distro comes anywhere close to the versatility of Debian.

8. ffreeloader

LOL. Sparky, at least make a valid complaint about Linux when you make one. You know how you change your desktop wallpaper in Linux? Just like you do in Windows. Right click the desktop, choose your wallpaper from the directory you choose, click open, and it appears on your desktop. Close the app and you're done.

If that's a struggle, it's a struggle to change the wallpaper in XP too.

9. ffreeloader

I've seen a couple of Mac notebooks and they were pretty impressive. The guys only had to pay around $3200 each for them though..... :rolleyes: For $3200 I could build a laptop that would blow them away though, and with far prettier graphics and special effects using compiz. If you haven't seen any demo's of compiz and beryl do some youtube searches and I think you'll be pretty amazed. The graphics capabilities of the Linux desktop now blow away Windows and Apple, at least in my opinion.

There are a lot of people out there like you, I guess. I just get frustrated with the limits of wizards and gui's, and don't like being locked out of my system by it being proprietary.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I stick with Windows because everything I require runs on it. Until Linux gives me something I'm lacking on Windows that I've just GOT to have, I'll probably stick with Windows.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Sparky

So Linux takes all its ideas from Windows? sheeesh! :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  12. ffreeloader

LOL. No. It's just the obvious way to do that task. Any programmer who looked at it would take the same route. However, you can bypass that and do it via a text file if you so choose. There's just more options with Linux. :twisted:

13. Sparky

Cool, more options for users (not IT peeps) can mean more problems IMO, especially in a corporate environment. :biggrin

14. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

I'm very close to making the switch. I'm using fedora, I've tried suse as well. Ubuntu is supposed to be the most popular I think, and I've heard mandriva is quite good.

I've recently read a bit about the filesystem(s). It's striking how different it is from windows, clever even. Installing programs via the CLI takes some practice and understanding but it's not that hard if you're used to using CLI's

Linux originally appealed to me just because it's not Windows. Linux has character, with it's strange names for everything. Windows feels flat (maybe that's because most people have it). It's also more versatile, it can be customised out of the box way more than Windows can.

I'd like to see more people using Linux, not just enthusiast's. When the PC's in my family need upgrading I'd like to put Linux on them, (they are having it) I'm sure I can learn enough to support them as well.

The reason's I use Windows at home are, well the obvious one's really. I need it to help with my chosen career, and I need it to run the occassional game.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I downloaded a trial of Ubuntu a couple of weeks back, got it running then thought whats the point in this, it looks like some mac os with a hint of Windows and everything I need runs on Windows. So it got deleted as I wouldn't use it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

A trial of Ubuntu? I'm confused. It's free. No need for trial versions.

Anyway, my main desktop runs Ubuntu and I do the vast majority of my typical computing on it. I do keep a Windows XP Pro computer for writing. First off, this is the computer running VMWare and I'm writing another SharePoint book just now. For that, I need a virtual Windows Server 2003 machine to run SharePoint Server 2007 so all and all, that means I use Windows. Also, the publishing industry uses Office almost exclusively, so that means, I use Windows. I've tried to open a publisher's Word templates in Writer, but they never work quite right and I need a high level of accuracy so I can do my work.

Other than that, I never need to stop using Ubuntu.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep sorry its late its time for bed.

It was the full thing, I just didn't like it

Anyway I am going bed back in 10 or so hours. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. ffreeloader

Yeah, right. Your average corporate worker is just going to go searching for a hidden text file to modify rather than right click on his/her desktop. Uh Huh. When you find someone who will buy that let me know..... I want to gaze with astonishment at this person too. They will be a real rarity. I'll wonder how they get through life being that gullible, but I'll still want to see them for myself. :eek:

19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I use doze for my main OS - can't see any compelling reason to switch.

That said, almost all my security work is done using BackTrack, so I'm getting more familiar with both. From a complete n00b a year ago I can now CAT and GREP with the best of 'em

...runs and hides before serious lack of knowledge is exposed

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You have no idea how many times in the past I've had users call up because they have been trying to screw around with something that was locked down by our GPO. There are plenty of people out there who have just a little knowledge and think they are able to screw around with the corporate setup any way they like. They usually end up rafting their system and coming crying to support for help.

Freddy, I have a question for you. You are always going on about how Linux gives you access to the source code, and you can verify that you arent being spied on, or that you can change the code in any way you like, but have you actually made use of this capability? Its all well and good saying that it can do this, and it can do that, but its a pointless exercise if you arent making any use of that capability. I can make a three course dinner for a dinner party (maybe) but I dont. I can ride a bike off a cliff, but I dont. If you dont make use of this capability, then touting it as a reason you use it is pointless. If you do, then fair enough.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present