Have you Heard of Speed Cabling?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Feb 15, 2008.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

A new "sport" based around unravelling the mass of wires that can typically be found beneath computer desks the world over is taking off in the western US.

The challenge was devised by IT professional Steven Schkolne. Contestants are faced with a tangled mass of six ethernet cables of various lengths. Their task is simply to separate them in the fastest time.

"I did a bunch of experiments and found that putting them in a dryer for three minutes works pretty well, it allows them to tangle naturally," he told BBC World Service's Digital Planet programme.

SOURCE: BBC NEWS

Could it catch on over here in the UK??:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Cough> Look a little further down in this section of the forum.... :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You should really take something for that cough. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Oh eck! i did do a search on recent posts but couldn't see anything about the subject.

I am struggling to find time to post on this forum at the moment because I have so much work on at the moment.
    :(

I am having a shite day at work, three steps back and one sidewards on every single job I do:rolleyes:

Hmm I going to have to sign off CF for a while... Have good weekend everyone!!:biggrin

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Bad news don't work too hard matey and get some beers down you when you get home :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Deary me, whatever next... :blink

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

thanks mate:thumbleft - good idea:morebeer

I was really getting pi$$ed off with work today. I suggested a new procedure that would benefit networks and hardware team within the IT Dept. I was amazed to be told I could NOT write this procedure because there are no procedures to write procedures:shocked Also until the dept bring in ITIL they can't write up procedures. It's so stupid!!:x

My suggested procedure would stop wasting paper, cut down time and mistakes in the jobs as well as allow the job to be electronically logged. It's taken me a week to get any sense out of the people who work there. With everyone saying what a good idea to it but not acting on because that would mean they would have to do something about it!:(

I get so worked up sometimes, we work in IT with all this technology around us and yet if I want to change a location of a PC in AD. I have to print two A4 pieces of paper out and hand write the numbers, ip address, mac and guid. You can imagine all the mistakes that can happen from peoples handwriting to error in typing the changes in AD.:dry

Also all the hardware technicians use a notepad to write users details such as telephone numbers, names, computer details and even users passwords. - Which is stupid, I mean what if they lost that note pad??

Oh well that's my moan over!

Better get back to the beer!:biggrin

8. greenbrucelee

Its the crap managers and all the polatics they use because they have to do something to justify their salaries.

Anyway I am going back to beer too :D

9. Sparky

That sounds like waaaay to much hassle. Perhaps you guys should invest in some software that can audit all the PCs on the LAN so no need for paperwork.

Anyways, beer for me as well. :slidedrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yeah, that was part of the reason why they wanted to change the procedure. Infact the sofware is already there it's called sunrise. But people don't log everything they do on the job on sunrise. They are alot of computers that are not in the correct location on AD, The network manager stated if a computer is shown to be in the store room on AD he will pull it out of the domain controller. Which is stupid because at the end of the day it is the user that gets penalised for our mistakes in not updating the records:dry

just yesterday he told us that he had pulled some network cables out of hub, mainly the ones that had no link lights on them. The next day we had 6 jobs from users saying there was no net work connection. When I asked why he did this, he said to give us something to do:ohmy:rolleyes:

11. Sparky

Why do the computer accounts have to be moved? Is it something to do with group policy? :blink

12. greenbrucelee

what a w**ker :lol:

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yes - your spot on there mate, some users are just standard users others are power users or debugging users. Some have to be in a certain policy group to allow certain department accounts to be used.
    Such as a binded account to certain PC's others need access to certain network printers or shared data on network drives.8)

Sparky - how does AD work where you are? Do you have to bind a persons account to a computer or can anyone uses that account on any computer throughout your work place??

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I agrre ..couldn't of said it better myself.:biggrin

15. Sparky

One network I support has the training PCs locked down so that only the training user accounts can log onto them. Also the training accounts cannot be used on any other PCs in the company.

In most cases all of this can be controlled through AD\GPO and some scripting, I don’t know how your network is setup but there *might* be ways in which more processes can be automated. I might be way off the mark though! :biggrin

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Actually I think you right there about "there *might* be ways in which more processes can be automated"

There's a program the Hardware/software Technicians use it's called the Inventory and is setup through MS Access 2003. The network guys don't use this:rolleyes:I don't know why?? Because it has everything about the user and location of the PC and the type of PC. Anyway I offered to write a scrit in Ad to allow the two programs AD and inventory to communicate. In other words if a technician changes the location in the inventory such as from stock room to ENT main reception then this part and only this part would change in AD. But I got a door slammed in my face.

Even the software developer who has worked there for 16 years is not allowed access to certain parts of AD or the network and yet all of his projects depend on that part of the network. So he has to wait for networks to complete a certain part of his job before he can carry on with the project.

Seems a bit stupid it almost feels like some people are holding back as though they are afraid of losing their jobs or somerthing?

In other words you bind the accounts to a policy group containing certain machine names.:biggrin8)
    Have you ever written a script in AD?

17. Sparky

Generally visual basic scripts which map drives depending on what security groups the user is a member of and also adds printers depending on the user’s location.

Most of the admin I need to do can be done with Group Policy, everything from making some users local admins and locking down everyone else. 8)