Have you got a degree?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by zimbo, Oct 10, 2006.

?

See below for questions! Thanks

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Im studying for one

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i dot have a degree and never really considered one. I know a few people with them that have never really worked... they left uni upon completeion and never been able to get the jobs they wanted as they were always over qualified!!

For me a UNI degree would be pointless, i'm not much good when it comes to loads of theory, i prefer practicle work. However if i had gone and mananaged one it would have taught me how to learn from notes and technical info easier, which is the hardest thing i find now...

Gimme an explananation and show me how to do something, im fine. Gimme loads of technical jargon, buff and specs then as me to get on with it and i fall to pieces (bit like job im in now... too much theory and technical stuff not enough gubbins and hands dirty).

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I don't have a degree, and I'm glad I didn't go to Uni when I had the chance.

My heart went with languages at high school - my soul remained with IT, though the ICT techs had all consigned me to the seventh realm of hell, so there was no way I was going past GCSE IT. Ended up doing German, Latin, English and History. Was going to go to Uni to study Classical Archaelogy and Ancient History. But, at 18 years old, I don't think anyone should have to make such decisions about their long term career prospects. Very few people I know are doing their 'dream job', or have been in the same career/career mindset from that time. Generally, a degree shapes the way your career would take. The thought of being in digs in Egypt now, although a cool idea, is not what I would like to do. You have to work (normally) for around 40 years of your life (thanks, goverment). So you need to enjoy it.

So that basically amounts to I think degrees are worth while. If you want to get to certain levels in a profession, I personally think they are a necessity. And yes, one day I will study for one (in Computing and Mathematical Science). But you shouldn't have to decide so young - or before you know what you want/need from a career.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

from what i can gather is this:

1. The majority in or trying to get into IT dont have degrees
    2. Yet go to universities and computer majors are full.
    3. Does this mean ppl dont finish IT degrees or is the degree pointless?

I dont think my degree is pointless because combined with my diploma its taught me: Pascal, C++,VB,Java and SQL... i wouldnt have been able to learn these to the level i know without going to some institute.

people are willing to pay thousands of pounds to become an MCSE yet it NOW only costs 3000 per year for uni on a full-time and its reputable. Sorry but i think its worth my time on the degree.. ok its out of date but i think degrees have a future in IT.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A degree will never go out of date.

The problem is that there are so many crap degree courses today. I don’t know why the Government insists in trying to increase the amount of people that get into uni to boost their figures.

Getting into uni should be a major achievement but this seems to be changing. :x

I think it depends on the culture of the company in regard to how a degree is valued. I provide IT support for a software development company and everyone at that company has a degree and there is no chance of working there without one. ‘So what?’ I hear you say but the wage is £25-30k with all the perks. 8)

Im not saying a degree will get you a fat pay cheque but there are some jobs that will insist that you are degree educated before they even think about interviewing you. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

For someone who went to a private, boys only school, unfortunately I do not have a degree. :cry:

I wish i did. I wish I had the Academic and <other> :biggrin experiences that went with it. I am, however a <realist>.
    I will make the best that is on offer.
    As Delboy said to Rodney; "this time next year Rodney....".
    Seriously, i think everyone has to maximise their positions.

Best of luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is not how it used to be. When I left school, the only people that went to uni and got degrees were those seeking a professional career like doctors, accountants, lawyers etc. Nowadays things are changing, it won't be long before you need a degree in order to get an interview as a cleaner. Degrees are good but there are pros and cons - just think, all those years in school (uni) learning C++ or Java could be spent at work earning a living and gaining real hands on experience, *real world* people skills and work ethic :wink:

I blame the Americans, they don't leave school until they're fat and 40 :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Did you learn about maximising your position at that private boys school? :twisted: jk

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

We get blamed for everything. I'm used to it. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's because everything is your fault! :dry

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You sound like my wife. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Big.O.UK

Big.O.UK Bit Poster

i got a Degree in Software Development Applications and i still didn't manage to get a job not even a help desk position

a degree is good for certain professions however in my opinion IT is not one of them if you havent got commerical experiance to back it up with.

4 of my friends have BSc Computer Science degrees and they haven't managed to get a job.

its really sad how Universities and colleges are just intrested in ripping people off and not providing any support at the end of the programe

do you have any idea how difficult it is to even land a placement in a 4 year sandwich course

Certifications: BSc SDA,HND SWENG
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yes i agree finding an IT job is hard with or without a degree and its not the uni's fault... today its experience that counts.. its like certs no experience no job! I agree with pete before i came to "europe" the only people i knew who had degrees were teachers and doctors! now im in uni getting one! times are changing and under grads as well as grads must realise a degree wont give you a 15k job on the plate... you still will need to work hard - im prepared to! thats why i think its better i have come to uni now and not when i was 18. Now i can build pc's with my eyes closed (yeah i done close to 3 or 4 large deployments) do everything an A+ techhie can do and i got 1 and a bit years experience behind my name. Then im already certified! One more other complaint I have why is it ppl studying software development think they might get a job in hardware without an A+ or MCP? Of course recruiters are going to turn you away? would you let your dentist perform heart surgery?

to sum it up too many courses dragging people to study and students dont know what they in for in the end of it!

rant over!8)

13. Big.O.UK

Big.O.UK Bit Poster

well i am studying for my A+ now :D

however Universities make alot of claims such as 90% employment after initial graduation.

sort of a sales pitch so to speak,much like alot of Training providers do these days.This gives alot of people false hopes and if i knew this first then i would have stood back and examined my options more carefully

the IT helpdesk jobs that i am applying for are composed mainly of people who have a very basic knowledge of IT principles,they got the job because they have call centre experiance nothing to do with A+ or anything.

Certifications: BSc SDA,HND SWENG
  14. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nothing wrong with that, people skills are important when starting out in IT. 8)

If you know your IT but you are not a good ‘people person’ then 1st Line Technical support will just not work for you. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

i agree with u there fully!

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  16. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The highest academic qual I have is a BSc in Computing (Software Engineering).

In my opinion the Higher ed quals (eg BSc/BA, HND, etc) aren't there to get you a job. Do you think that care assistants study for 4 years in the medicine/nursing industry to get about £5-£6 ph? No. From what I've read so far people are stating that "my degree didn't get me a job", etc, etc, etc... In my opinion the degree's will help you in your choosen career just like any cert/qual will, provided that you're willing to work for it.

Alot of students are going to college/Uni doing their degree courses and expecting to earn £20k in their first year. I was one of those students and I have to say that I only heard what I wanted to hear. It wasn't the Uni's fault as they stated how much I could earn (they actually stated a range), not the exact amount that I would earn.

Remember HR people aren't IT techies, they have to have a broad view of things. After all they interview and contact people that want to work in the IT field to cleaners to managers.

At the risk of being unpopular, this is my post.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well said ken!

last week i was talking to a 3rd year and he said to me im heading for a 1st class degree so i will get a 25k job. I just looked at him and said to myself you cheeky bugger! He didnt even want to listen that there was no chance without experience of getting it! like certs IT degrees are being thought of as the road to riches!:dry

18. Kitkatninja

Hey Guys/Gals

Thought you may like this article I found.

Read here for the full article.

Now-a-days, personally, I believe that one of the best degree programs are ones that integrete entry level professional certs (A+, Network+ & maybe the MCDST) into the academic program. However anything higher MCSA/MCSE (for example) would be a waste as those certs need practice (real world) experience of at least 1 year.

Check out Uni's like http://www.wgu.edu/index.asp (they have been in Certmag.com & in Comptia e-mails) who accept certain professional certs as credit for their degree programs.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  19. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

wagnerk,

I noticed you had a HNC and a BSc. How did you go about this? did you do 2/3 years at uni or did you do an open uni course?

Also has anyone doing an open uni course? how much are they and what are they like?

Debating whether to stop after my HNC but don't want to take 2/3 years out to try uni again. Open uni may be an option depending what they are like... Anyone like to give some advice...

Thanks alot! :)

Chris

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  20. Kitkatninja

Hi Chris,

I did my course part-time while I worked, so my HNC actually was 2 years long. I did that at De Montfort Uni, once I received that I decided to get my degree. I applied at UCN (aka University Northampton) and they accepted me on their part-time BSc Computing course, as I already received my HNC I was presented the option of either doing a further 2 years for the BSc or a further 3 years for the BSc(Hons), I choose to do the 3 extra years, but had to drop out due to personal reasons.

I did consider the OU at one time, but to be realistic you pay extra for the convenience, when I check they were about 1/3 more expensive. But then again you do the course in your time.

If you do decide to stop after receiving your HNC, don't worry, check with your Uni's/Colleges in the area, you should be able to do what i did and just "top-up" to your HND/BSc/BSC(hons). If you decide to continue your studies thru the OU, speak to them about their course and see if the HNC is compatible with it.

Hope this helps

-Ken