Have you ever had one of those days.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 19, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

where everything goes wrong?

Some of you will know I work for a newspaper producing the plates which the pages go onto for printing aswell as monitoring data, PDFs and EPS files and configuring systems and servers.

Last night as I left work one of the imaging machines stopped working, the cable that lifts the picking device up snapped and therefore left the machine inoperable. I then had to put a call into kodak for them to send an engineer to fix the issue.

I arrived at work today to find that the kodak processor linked to the other working imaging machine PCB board had burnt out, also that half of the server cabinet had also gone bye bye at some point in the night.

So I was well and truly pissed off by 7:45am :mad

This left me with having to image plates in one machine, grab them before they go into the knackered processor run over to the other processor and put the plate through the working one then grab the plate and use the bending machine linked to the machine that imaged it (two different setup models, plates produce on one line can't get bent on the other line).

I also had to monitor the throughput of data and hold bits & bytes (well megabytes and gigabytes actually) whilst the BT blokes put in some new hubs and switches.

I also got covered in chemicals as the working processor decided to jam the plates up in the developing section and this **** stays on you weeks no matter how hard you scrub. I was getting mad with people at one point as it seemed I was the only doing anything :argue

I am probably gonna have to phone onevision in the morning (they supply use with software which checks the integrity and correctness of PDFs) as their product is bollocks and keeps cocking up.

I am extremely knackered now, I must have run 15 miles today in a 6 foot radius :blink

Anyone else had ****ty days like this?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Probably, but I don't like to think about them. Actually, in my job, it's "feast or famine". Either I don't have a lot to do on a day-to-day basis, or tons of work comes at me from all directions all at once. Today was one of the latter, but it reminds me that I'm needed around here and fulfill a purpose. I also was just informed in today's staff meeting that I'm the official "blogger" for the new social/credential web application we're developing (at least I can at least mention it). It's in a very soft release today and access so far is invitation only (even I don't have the ability to invite anyone yet...only a few people on the developer staff).

As they say, "Do your eight and hit the gate". After work, go home and take it easy. Try to relax. Chances are, tomorrow will be better.

Good luck, mate. Sorry you had such a rough time.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Try upgrading two Poweredge 6650s and having the PERC controller in BOTH fail on you in the same day whilst sat in a datacentre in Harrogate 200 miles from civilisation. Then finally getting back to your 'real' office at 10.00 PM to find a SAN failure waiting for you. This happened to me last year - I seriously considered f***ing it all off and going to live on the beach in Bali for the rest of my life.

I feel your pain!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cheers Trip, atleast it sounds like things are going well you

Sounds nasty, I considered going to hit the production manager as he kept phoning and asking "how are you getting on?" and what was my reply "stop phoning me up and asking stupid ****ing questions and I'll get on a hell of a lot better".

The brains of managemnt :x

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?