Have you ever considered getting out of IT?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Both studying and working within the industry?

Me..

Yup lol, I dropped it for around 4 months and wasn't going to return. I think it was more to do with lack of confidence, just didn't see myself passing any IT exam (was never smart academically at school failed every GCSE). I also feel part of the reason was I wasn't that into it, didn't have "passion" for it, more of a slight interest. I eventually decided to try again and started to study for the MTA OS exam.. I found myself enjoying what I was learning and I really got excited when I started applying what I learnt in real life troubleshooting with my own system. Today I was taking apart my laptop switching things around, troubleshooting it etc and although I was getting frustrated it was also very fun which is a weird combination. IT is the only area of work I think I'd genuinely enjoy.. Thats not to say I wouldn't work in another area (which I do), but its the area that wouldnt feel as much like slavery.

I've learnt alot since joining this site its been a real education.

Jaron78 likes this.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well done Juelz, glad you finally got to grips with your laptop :;)

3. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Not yet, though I do often wonder about if I'm going to have a mid-life career change, for something more practical and less screen + desk based, for when I'm in my 40's with appalling eyesight and terrible posture :thumbleft

........plus I once saw someone on here say that people change career 3 times in their life on average and it's being worrying me ever since, because there's nothing else I'm remotely good at :D

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I thought about it... then I thought about other types of jobs that I'd like, and most of them have to do with STEM (Science, Technology Engineering, and Mathematics). I've done Quantum Physics (one course only though), Calculus 1-3, etc.. so unless I want to be in a lab all day, I'd rather stick to IT ;)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think about it every few months. I am a nerd and do love IT but ultimately I would like to have a property portfolio that sustains me so I don't have to work. I may get bored. That is a serious concern plus I've spent so many years working to get where I am, even if I had the cash to leave it behind, I might not be able to just walk away from that. But yeah, who doesn't think about leaving any job. One thing for sure for me. There's nothing else I'd want to be in other than property related

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, I do sometimes think about it (especially when I have a bad day). However I also have to consider what else I'm good at and the level of pay that I would get from it... Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it does help especially if you have a family :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    JK2447 likes this.
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Considered it last year but after some thought decided not to. Need to get some focus and start pushing up the career ladder (again!).

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Like most I think about it but the simple fact is that we as a family have grown accustomed to a certain life style, that life style is only achievable via a certain amount of cash, which is only found with the kind of work I do, I sure as shite couldn't afford to take a 40k pay drop to go work for the Police (which is what I would love to do) because my wife and I decided she was better off working as a foster carer and that's a big drop from the City wages she earned for many years (she took a 40k drop in salary).

What I am going to do is make a move back more in to the hands on tech side of things than the management side that I have been doing for the last 13 months, that change is likely to happen this year now rather than next.

Once I stop getting the buzz out of playing with tech is the time to move in to something different (as it is I am already in profession #2, the first one lasted 10 years, this one has lasted nearly 20).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I think IT spans so many different roles and job types that you can change role significantly yet still be in 'IT'.

This is made even easier if you're in a large company that makes this possible. Where I am now is great for this, you can move to other parts of the business doing totally different jobs as it's so vast.

10. Steevvy

Steevvy New Member

IT is actually the field No. 1 - there are so many opportunities for learning and developing. And it is well paid.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP
    WIP: VCI
    Jaron78 likes this.
  11. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Does anyone else do the Lottery?
    That for me (at the moment) is the only way I would leave IT. I wouldn’t mind being a Professional Footballer but at 37, I think I missed the boat on that one.
    I changed career at about 30 / 32 to break into IT so I am still relatively new to it in all honesty. Saying that, should I match all the numbers tonight, I would be off like a shot.
    Like JK, I'd like to build up a property portfolio and then spend my days travelling the world (All in 1st class of course).
    Saying that, there are not many Test Centers close to me so perhaps I would look at that. Build out a really nice office, convert it into a Training & Test Center just for IT based qualifications.

12. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

I don't think I could ever get completely out of IT. Have I thought of leaving my current position? Every day haha. I would love to have the opportunity to teach IT :)

13. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I think i'd be lost if i got out of IT.

I'm moving to the states next year, and plan to continue my skydiving. What i'd like to do is eventually go part time in IT and teach skydiving the rest of the time, when i'm 40ish (11 years time)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud