Have you ever been in a situation of near death?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

For me twice.

When I was around 9-10 years old I went on a roller coaster with a mate of mine at a theme park. There was no seat belts and the safety bar was not closed properly. I literally had to hold on whilst it was spinning upside down otherwise I would have fallen out and hit the deck.

I also had a guy try to rob me at knife point but I managed to restrain him and knock the knife out of his hand.

You?

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I can't remember how old I was but lets say 14. My dad was fishing on his boat off the coast of North Wales so I thought it would be a good idea to swim out to him as it didn't look very far. By the time I got to the boat I was totally exhausted. My dad didn't see me until I was close, and told me to climb in the boat. I didn't have the arm strength left to get on so he had to drag me on. Later I remember thinking, if he'd chosen to drive away, I'd could of very easily drowned as the distance was deceptive, and I wasn't nearly as good a swimmer as I thought I was

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Kind of.

During my skydiving. Jumped out at 15,000ft, freefalled to 4,000ft and opened parachute as standard. My parachute malfunctioned when i opened it and the canopy wasn't opened fully, with several of the ropes attaching me to the parachute going back over the parachute itself the wrong way, causing the canopy to be mis-shaped, therefore the air not filling it up and allowing me to control it properly, i was falling too quick at this point, so i had to cut away (throw away) the main parachute.

Managed to cut away, and began free-falling again, at this point i had around 2,000ft to open it by (Freefall at 5 seconds per 1,000ft i then had problems opening my reserve. I eventually opened my reserve parachute at around 700ft and managed to get back to ground safely.

Immediately threw away that rig, and bought a new one a few weeks after.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Bloody hell that sounds like a James Bond situation. You must have been petrified

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I was 13 or 14 and on holiday in the Channel Islands with my brother (5 years younger than me) and my best friend. There is an island off the coast of Guernsey called Herm, it's essentially a beach, lovely place but the waters are very treacherous (known for their under currents).

Both my friend and I saw a sand berm about a 100 yards out at sea and decided to swim to it but it was hard going, my mate decided to turn back.

I carried on swimming and noticed as I was going that the berm was moving and rather than getting closer to it I was moving away from it.
    On turning around I discovered I was quite far away from the beach and that I was heading towards the end of the island, trying to swim back was worse now, the undercurrent had caught me, I was tired and I wasn't getting closer to the beach at all.

I looked around and saw a small boat about 300 yards away, I tried to wave to it and at first they couldn't see me, then they waved back thinking I was just waving rather than being in trouble. Eventually my two waving arms managed to convey that I was in trouble and they came to rescue me, getting back to the beach I discovered that people had seen I was in trouble and all came to make sure I was ok.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Another close call happened to me when I was 17 at the time. I had been in the Army for just over a year (I joined at 16, spent a year as a junior soldier before joining the regulars).

As my primary role at the time was driver I was under going driver training in a HGV lorry, it was my first day out and as I was being shown how to drive the lorry my instructor had a heart attack at the wheel, we were driving down a dual carrage way at the time, he swerved on to on-coming traffic, hit a traffic sign, rolled down an embankment (still on the wheels rather than having rolled the truck I should add), just missed a parked car at the bottom of the embankment, hit a fence and stopped 50ft in a farmer field.

At that time there were no seat belts fitted to these vehicles so the instructor was bouncing up and down off the steering wheel, I leant over to hold him up and it's only when we stopped that I tried to sit down in my seat, unfortunately I couldn't because smack bang in the middle of where I had been sitting was a fence post, it had come up through the cab and impaled the seat, it would have gone straight through me if I hadn't leant over to save the instructor.

Needless to say it left me in somewhat of a state.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I got run over by a HGV going about 30 mph when I was about 14 on my ET BMX.

Was something like a movie stunt, slid between the wheels at a 45 degree angle, managed to only get cuts and bruises.

Strangely the bike was wrecked, frame broken in 2-3 places.

Parents were told by police I had been run over by a lorry and assumed the worst.

8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Did you skid through out the other side?

9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Had a cardiac arrest when the kidney issue decided to go one extra.

All at the start, well the part where I found out what was going on. My BP was that high they wouldn't let me walk anywhere, they thought I was going to pop, so they gave me some stuff to bring my BP right down.

Because it brought my pressure down too fast, I woke up about 5 am in the morning, only to go for a wee, which we had to do in these card board things. Did my stuff put the wee pot on the bed and then woke up on the floor with a nurse on my chest pumping away. I was sweating like mad, but a very cold sweat, quite strange I suppose.

I did learn an interesting fact mind, the stuff the gave me for the BP was via intravenous drip and was coated in foil, to protect it from daylight, if it gets exposed to daylight then it becomes toxic, the germans used it to get the truth out of prisoners they captured in the war just by wafting it under the prisoners noses.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Nope the driver saw me in the wing mirror and applied the brakes, I was going almost parallel to the lorry, so we all must skidded same speed.

I hit the side of the lorry with my handlebars and my hands, so no not the whole way, that would been impresssive, but put me in another lane of traffic so probably certain death.

After I picked my bike up and ran out from between the wheels to the pavement, so I was underneath the trailer the entire time.

Juelz likes this.
  11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So did you have any injuries at all?

12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Just cuts on knuckles where they hit lorry, to this day have a small scar there.

13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Glad your doing better, hope you told her she got your blood pumping! :;)

14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

One thing I have no chance of remembering, another I have vague recollections of.

I was born three months premature, 2lb 10oz, in the 80's. I spent the first 6 months of my life in SCIBU being fed intravenously and being given heart massages with a toothbrush covered in cotton wool (true story, according to my mother. My rib cage was too soft for human touch). Most of that time was touch and go.

Then when I was four (or five) I was in the back of my dad's Ford Granada. In the days before seatbelts were mandatory, I was leaning against the door around a roundabout. It malfunctioned and swung open. I hit the concrete head-first but remember hearing / seeing other cars screeching around me. There was lots of crying. Dad hammered the car to a stop to scoop me up and take me to hospital. It was a miracle nothing worse happened.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yeah she did in more ways than one ha ha. Even got a bedbath from her, result......of sorts

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  16. JK2447

Oh god mate, much love and hugs to ya!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  17. JK2447

And indeed to everyone, sounds like we're all lucky to be here! Let's hope these are stories we get no more of as we age gracefully

18. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Not very exciting mine but:

My partner came down from our hotel room to find me playing $50.00's a hand on Blackjack in Vegas.
    Thankfully, I was well up (Hence why I was playing $50.00 a hand) but if looks could kill, I would have died there and then on that spot.

Considering her "High Stakes" is $20.00 a day on Roulette.....

19. JK2447

ha ha love this