Have just discovered something

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 3, 2010.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

although it's been around for a while apparently, I thought I'd let you lot know incase you hadn't heard.

If someone downloads puppy linux and puts it onto a usb flash drive it allows the user to cause havoc with the pc.

Switch off USB/Floppy/CD in your BIOS just to be safe since linux puppy is an .iso.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yes, although this is true wherever a user could boot in to their own environment in all fairness mate.
    If you booted from an XP disc you could perform your own installation.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

even the old dos floppy disks could do the same. Anything bootable would cause problems if the boot order is set to check that device before the HDD.

Ultimately though, you just implement policies that severely punish offenders - you cant nanny them for everything, otherwise you might as well just give them a sheet of paper and an abacus.

I heard a story about some guy who was temped into a company. On his first day he duly took instructions, then sauntered off to his desk. Before the morning was out, he was forcibly turfed onto the street, after being caught with a linux distro he was installing onto 'his' machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

What do you mean bruceybaby? That if someone boots a CD or USB Linux distro they can access all of your files etc? Thats always been the case and one of the reasons its an instant sackable offence to use a USB stick in my new job :eek:

** Edit: Hey nice one for pointing it out though, I'm sure not everyone will have known that

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

True, although you can amend the boot order and password protect the BIOS in this case.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I had never thought about it to be honest, I realised it could be done with cd but never thought about a flash drive. No wonder the IT manager at my place is paranoid about USB flash drives.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Thats why i use Linux for data recovery.

is this not covered in the S+?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

its 'relatively' new to be honest. Not all MOBO's will allow booting from a USB stick. But it is becoming much more available.

TO be honest, USB drives are the replacement for floppy drives, outright banning them is just going to cause frustration as people cant use it as an easy way to transfer data back and forth. Besides, banning it only means that you are taking the hit on network traffic instead (as everyone emails it, etc). Much better to regulate it to some extent, and let it take place.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

To be honest, all motherboards from about the last 5 years or so have been able to boot from USB, I have some Via C7 based boards that do let alone some of the newer AMD\Intel boards.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've always kept a USB version of Linux at home for emergencies with my own systems. Handy to check if you have a driver issue with Windows or hardware failure as Linux can run on just about anything. I posted a link to some bootable Linux distro's that I like ages ago. Check out my threads mate, its there somewhere

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I have a USB drive with Dam Small Linux on, i keep in my bag just in case.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

yep. sudo ls hw has rescued me many a time by identifying the chipset allowing me to find the windows driver!

13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'd rather take the hit on network traffic, we're developing a wonderful level of paranoia in regards to people wondering off with important business documents at least if its sent out via our email system its monitored. That and of course with USB drives being the floppy replacement they are of course the most likely way for people to carry viruses/trojans etc into the building and although I do have a lot of confidence in our anti-virus I'd prefer to remove a potential attack vector entirely.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

yep, if the network has been planned with the business needs, there should be little use for USB (with regards to drive letters). Block 'um! :police

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Fixed that for you.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job