Have I missed my chance to work in IT Tech (certs were a while ago)?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Nov 24, 2012.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I passed my comptia certs some years ago but never did voluntary work due to temping jobs (and now I'm in a full-time regular job). I never did the MCDST because of the Open Uni degree I'm doing.

Does it look 'bad' if I did the certs a while ago (I could argue that I switched to the OU)?

I've been pondering the CCENT as a way to restart with IT tech - but without experience I wonder whether it's worth it. There is a significant overlap with the Network+ and I've been mulling over buying the NetSim software.

Or would I be better off with an MS cert (what's the modern day equivalent of the MCDST?)?

I should get an OU degree soon as well, so would a combo of that and the certs be the best way to restart?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, yes, I see your plight. Unfortunately there is now no direct equivalent of the MCDST. The MCSA:Windows 7 Cert is the closest MS offer as it is still 2 exams and mostly client-based but it is a whole level above the old MCDST. You could take an MCTS (as they are always 'one-off' exams) in a technology that interests you without throwing your CV into the domain of "too many certs but little experience".

It would also be helpful to know what you are studying at the OU before answering your query...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

The OU degree's a mixture of maths, stats and some computing courses. Aiming for Maths & Computing degree.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why not start applying for new roles now that are closer to where you want to be? You don't need to wait for certs.

Most certs are pretty easy compared to some OU courses, so your degree should carry more weight with a good employer.

I'd try and get a job with some IT element before worrying too much about certs. If you finish your degree and still cannot find an IT job maybe then look into A+, MCTS Win 7 or CCENT.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  5. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I've already got the A+ and I had been wondering whether a degree would be the best way to restart my IT plans.

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm not sure I get all the 'restart my IT plans' bit. There is nothing stopping you from messing with IT kit at home on a daily basis. There is nothing stopping you from applying to IT jobs now everyday.