1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I Been Out of School Too Long?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Veteran's son, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello everyone:

I'd like some feedback/advice please. I graduated with my IT diploma in 2005 and still have not found employment.

Have I been out of school so long that I would have to take the program over again?
    :( Would more IT certifications help?

Thank you!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

Since 2005 technology did change. It would be a good a idea to brush up on some stuff.

You dont have to go back to school again but by studying for certs you are obtaining new knowledge which is definitly a good thing.

I think that as long as you have some experience and with a few certs like a+ and n+ you would be able to get an entry level job.

Just keep trying and dont lose the motivation.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

More certs may help. From my personal experience, I have found that my employers had more interest in vendor certs from MS and Cisco, then the general CompTIA certs.

Good luck

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  4. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Network+ may help. I'd recommend getting your foot in the door ANYWHERE to start building some real-world experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Thank you for the advice everyone! I won't give up on my dream of an IT job. I would like to volunteer at an IT company but it is difficult to find the time after working my paying job.

I need to get back to studying again for networking basics.
    Can anyone recommend a good study reference?

Thanks again!:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This book got me through the Network+...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-sup...7070828?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184542927&sr=8-2

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010