Have a gaming issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by asje1, Jan 1, 2008.

1. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I have recently got Battlefield Vietnam as my little brother loves the game so i thought id play some with him....

However i tried firstly downloading thr battlefield 1914 demo which bummed out everytime i loaded it up, o had ran the patch etc and when loading my laptop black screens then returns to the desktop.

Now i have brought Vietnam from play.com. Installed the game, ran the latest patch and when i try loading the game i get this error... now i have searched for related troubleshoots online, tried reinstalling with no luck!

Im starting to think theres maybe a conflict with Vista? I didnt see anything online which mentioned so.

Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried running the exe in Windows XP Compatibility mode?

Right-click the icon for the program, click Properties, and then click the Compatibility tab.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well laptops graphics are generally not rated that good for gaming. couple that with Vista and the lack of decent video drivers at the moment and you have a recipee for problems.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have noticed from ur screenshot u have a number of apps running in the system tray...try stopping a few of these via Task Manager and see what happens...also i would recommend Tweak Vista...this will allow u to stop all resources not needed whilst playing games...give that a try and again see what happens (Tweak Vista is free but ur limited to what u can use unless u buy the full product which is about £10)...failing that u should be able to do a google search for other programs like Tweak Vista that will likely be free...

But as Bluerinse says laptops are not best for games unless u go for the Alienware lot...

the only game I play on my laptop is Matrix Online...my other games I play on my purpose built gaming machine...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Either run the game on a desktop with a decent graphics card, try tweaking video settings to get it to run onj your laptop (you'll need to knock everything down to the minimum allowed by the game and start from there) or, if it still won't work, try 'upgrading' to XP (my new catchphrase that - I like it!).

Since you're running Vista on a laptop it might also be something to do with not having a decent amount of RAM (Vista takes the piss with RAM and if you haven't got 1.5Gb or more I seriously doubt you will be able to run anything other than Pong.

Seriously - gaming on Vista just isn't worth it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Tried the compatibility idea, didnt work.

Im not fussed about downloading the tweak vista because to be honest i dont know what to do with it, also im going to upgrade to 2GB Ram soon....

True Quote you got there, upgrade to XP lol.

Thanks anyway!

Certifications: A+, N+