HAs texting destroyed the way people should write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

What a question, you terror :biggrin

It has to be taken in context, really.

People that are lazy writers drive me to distraction. I mean people such as those that, for example, use text or 1337 speak on a board such as this one, and when requested to type normally, continue to use such annoying methods of writing.

There is no excuse for not writing in decent, coherent sentences. When I want to struggle to translate something, I'll go and read Latin, German or Polish, thank you very much :biggrin

Using yourself as an example, you are not a lazy writer. You put across very well what you are trying to communicate, but you sometimes happen to have a finger-fart midsentence, and litter letters across your paragraphs like... well... litter. lol. But what you specifically write doesn't drive me 'batty', as I know that beneath the extra wind you get in your index finger, there are good arguments and reasoning still getting across. It's coherent, and that's what matters.

Things like "ok c u l8r 4 drnks n fn n r u gna b ot 2moro" would result in first degree murder without the slightest hint of hesitation on my part, and do drive me clinically insane. I have left boards before because of the moronic standards of English being used. I have stayed at CF so long because so much of the content here is well thought out.

If you're interested in the abuse of punctuation, spelling and grammar in modern English, I highly recommend you grab hold of this book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

The only thing that is amazing you is the fact that im not agreeing with you. Hell, thats not even true... i have actually agreed with MOST things you have said. You said it yourself that everyone perceives things differently yet you fail to apply that same logic to yourself. Do as i say but not as i do?

im not implying anything, i just fail to understand why you would not include the part of my quote that had the statement in which your point was based around, and no, the paragraph wasnt edited. Perhaps you were too busy trying to disect my post and find faults rather than actually reading the content?

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How do I not apply that same logic to myself? Read my numerous examples above, and they talk about where *I* have the burden of ensuring that I make myself understood by communicating with others not by my own chosen method, but by a method that is pleasing to others. Thus, I do apply that same logic to myself.

You really don't read what I type, do you? I didn't edit your quote out. Again, perhaps you were editing it when I was crafting my response. When I hit "QUOTE", it will grab whatever you've got typed at that moment. If you subsequently change your post, your changes won't show up in my response.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

I shall quote AGAIN what i had written as a response...again: why are you not reading it??:blink
    README
    Perhaps i was editing it whilist you were typing? I am aware of how the quote system works and surely you having 8000 posts should know that IF a post was edited (by me) then it would say **"last edited by...." at the base of it, which it does not. So the only conclusion i can come to is that if you did not intentionally edit it out then you are doing exactly what what you are accusing me of...(in bold above)....again with the do as i say but not as i do approach? Yet you accuse me of "lack of logic" and not reading peoples posts?:rolleyes:
    All you seem to be doing BM is jumping from point to point without actually justifying anything and in the midst of it all, totally ignoring my points, therefore i see this debate lasting a while :)

**Edited to demonstrate comment at the base of this post in re to Starred item above. See how it says Last edited by IThurts? and the post you are in reference to does not.....understand my point now??)

5. BosonMichael

Okay, dude. You "win". :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. BosonMichael

double post

7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Look what you've done GBL, I hope you're happy :biggrin

I might start a thread on whether duck eggs are tastier than hen eggs, and see if that decends into 85 posts of chaos.

You gotta love this place!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its all relative dude :) Things work their way out in the end.

One person gets angry another is happy, one person doesn't really care another cares too much. Tis the way of life :p

BTW Hen eggs are better :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Skills! I would disagree, but it's too nice a day for that

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

no....you win...:biggrin

11. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

LO all,

I av absolutely nothing constructive 2 add to this "debate" just wana post in an epic thread :twisted:

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I never expected to get this kind of response on here, maybe it's more of a hot topic than I thought :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea, i really didnt care for the topic, was just trying to get my post count up...:lol: :onthePC

only joking:biggrin

14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Okay guys, if no one is talking around the topic any more, can we wrap this up and stop the mindless banter? I'm sure there are better ways for you all to get your post count up :rolleyes:

:nospam

:offtopic

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA