HAs texting destroyed the way people should write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 30, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...too busy to take the time to spell something correctly to me? Ah... dude, that's a perfect example of respect vs. lack of respect right there. I'm either worth spelling correctly to, or I'm not, regardless of how busy you are.

I'm busy too... but I take the time to post on CF... because I care enough about you guys to do so.

Every once in a while, someone will say to me, "Hey, BM... when someone asks questions about braindumps, you should give them a link that points towards your Standard Answer #1; when someone asks questions about getting certified before getting experience, you should give them a link that points towards your Standard Answer #2." Know why I don't do that? Know why I take the time to craft an answer every time, rather than copy-and-pasting the same canned response? Because I respect you guys - even those who post once or twice - enough to type my response out to you. Every time. Even when I'm "too busy".

THAT is respect.

If someone can't even take the time to spell something correctly, or type something out, or use proper grammar... then I'm not worth their time, and thus, I lack their respect.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ah, the old respect arguments.

How about just plain professionalism? I hate people using texts speak in professional emails - things like 'lol', or 'u'. And I see this a lot in my professional email communications. I even see smilies (':)') being used. Even when I am emailing a colleague-friend in my department, I abhorr such usage. It grates against me.

That said, in a txt, I tend to use text speak. Its designed for txts: to make the most economical use of the space available whilst still conveying the message. In a txt, its perfectly legitimate to use text speak. Its like the morse code of the texting world.

In a medium where space is not a limiter, effort should be taken to write properly.

Unfortunately its not just as black and white as that. Even ignoring people with Dyslexia. Everyone the world over has different capabilities with different things, and we all have our own limits to those capabilities. I'm useless with art for instance. I could draw you a scene with stick men (badly), but thats about it. The same applies with language (even your first language). Some people just cant understand the intricacies of grammar, or are just unable to grasp the rules that apply to spelling which make it easier to remember how to spell things.

Some of that will translate into dislike for leaning english, sure. But thats the same the world over. When you cant do something despite trying, you start to lose interest in the subject. I could care less about learning how to paint. Im not interested, because I'm useless at it. That attitude developed over time. When I first started, I most likely kept trying, but as I realised that my limits in art were far below what could be considered decent, I lost interest.

There needs to be some slack cut with people regarding their capability with grammar and spelling. Sure there are some people who genuinely dont care and never have, but some are doing the best they can with the capabilities they possess, and I dont think its right to berate them for that.

But that doesn't equate to misuse of txt speak. its one thing to use grammar and spelling incorrectly, but the deliberate use of txt speak in a medium where it is unneccessary is just rude really.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

EXACTLY my point.
    Further to this whole "respect" thing...i RESPECT you guys that help me, and take the time out to do so. I dont know you out of these forums so you could be real jerks. Respect has its levels and i still do not see how the way you type can be perceived as disrespect.

Again, its dependant on the situation

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  4. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

So if people do not type properly, this means you do not respect them? Doesn't THAT seem immature to you? You have just alienated people essentially who (lik fergal mentioned) TRY to use it correctly, but just dont make the mark...or people like me, who's frikkn "e" key on the keyboard does not work properly.

Another point i would like to make, is seeing as we are on the topic of respect, how about the innappropriate swearing and arrogant posts some of you make...to name one would be that new guy that was offering his help, to which Fergal and Ffreloader jumped on. I seem to remember Fergal swearing in it, and ffreeloader just plain being rude. So its disrespectful to TYPE incorrectly but its ok to downright cuss and belittle someone...? :rolleyes:

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ummm.... Maybe you ought to take all these comments in the context of this thread and stop trying to generalize things out of context. Then maybe things would make sense to you. What all the comments on deliberately poor communication are referring to is text speak. Someone who tries to communicate well and can't due to learning disabilities or because English is a second language to them doesn't bother BM or I in the least. If you had been around here longer you would know that I defend those people pretty aggressively.

Mitzs has dyslexia and you'll never see me ragging on her for her spelling or grammar. Her brain is just wired badly. Her problem isn't deliberate, it's genetic. There's a huge difference between that and some jerk coming on here and expecting us to read the text speak he uses every day with his buddies. I don't know his code, and if he expects me to learn his code when he's the one asking for help, that's nothing but lack of respect for other people. It's a sense of entitlement that says, you owe me. Well, I don't owe him anything.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Fergal1982

Not really sure you are in a strong position to be talking about swearing really.

Just to name a few. Im fairly sure theres more, and if you really want me to, I can go and reference them all. Sure, you are starring them all out, but then, so was I.

Bottom line with swearing, theres a marked difference between swearing in general, and swearing at someone. Something I havent done (that Im aware of). Not that Im saying you have either, but just pointing out the difference.

However, to address your point on respect. Swearing is a part of life. Some people dont particularly like it, but theres no denying that people use it. As I've pointed out, you yourself are a frequent user of swearing - at least on these forums. Thats neither respectful nor disrespectful in and of itself. Direct it at someone ('you are a grade a c***' for instance) and its disrespectful, and offensive. But non-directed ('I keep having this f*****g problem') isnt disrespectful. That said, If a poster here started a thread and claimed that he really didnt like swearing, and would prefer it to not take place in the threads they start, Im sure everyone here would respect their choice. I dont drink, I choose not to drink and its disrespectful to keep trying to make me drink when ive told you I dont. That doesnt mean its disrespectful of you to drink in my presence.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

Hmmm I'm not sure I agree with the whole respect thing.

I mean say for instance I offer advice on the forum (albeit incredibly poor advice). I think it would be disrespectful for some1 to whinge @ me for using text speak.

On the other hand if I was making a job application or communicating with a colleague that I did not know, then the whole issue of professionalism rather than respect would crop up.

Just as an aside - my old boss who was about 50 and new to the mobile phone world did not understand that there was a specific style of txt speak. He would use "tmo" to represent tomato and tommorow. He had an awesome system of just missing random letters thinking every1 else knew what he meant. We had to phone him straight after his text just to work out what it meant. He was a living legend.

hp ts al mk ss t y

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  8. Fergal1982

Yes. :D

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This is getting a little nuts, I think txt speak is just laziness not sure about the respect thing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yes precisley...yet i am the one being accused of taking things "out of context".:rolleyes:

Fergal: if i had a spare 20 mins ( and if i cared THAT much about proving your point incorrect in re to swearing) i would indeed quote the plethora of direct cussing you have done in the couple of months i have been here. Truth is, i dont need to. The quotes you have managed to scrape up that i have made are not in the same light as what i was in reference to in re to how YOU swear AT people in an INDIRECT way...good effort though.

I am indeed in a strong position to talk about swearing, as far as direct swearing goes to another member...i have NEVER done that. You make very direct references but in a very "clever" way. This may be unconcious to you and if it is then fine.

Point being is EVEN IF i wasnt in a strong position talking about swearing, this does not make my initial point any less valid, that posters like yourself and ffreeloader rant all over posters and then bring up that its disrespectful to type in shorthand to you?:rolleyes:

Ffreelaoder: you mentioned i should take things into context and that im missing the point that people are talking about text speak...

THAT^ is in reference to a tx msg is it??I ask as THAT is what i was responding to. i can only respond to what im reading.

GBL: this is indeed getting crazy..and as far as i can see its due to crazy theories imho.

11. ffreeloader

Let's see. You tailor your communication according to the person you're communicating with. Why? Why not just use text speak with everyone? Why use your text speak code with a buddy and much more proper English with someone else? Think about it....

As to the next part of your paragraph.... Let me get this straight. People prioritize their time according to their list of priorities. They will spend more time being careful with one aspect of their life than with another. Why? And what does it tell you if someone doesn't care to make sure that their communication with you is well understood? What does that say about their respect for you, and where you fit into their priorities? Now, people come here to ask questions about their careers, their livelihoods, and yet they won't prioritize this issue enough to make sure they are clearly understood and appreciate and respect others for the time, effort, and kindness they put into helping them? I would say that shows a clear lack of respect, and a great sense of entitlement.

Maybe when you get a little older you'll be able to see this. I know I couldn't when I was your age, but then I didn't have very much respect for anyone, including myself, at that age....

12. BosonMichael

Uh... no... that's not it at all. You've got it quite backwards. If they don't type properly, then I realize that THEY have little respect for ME. :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. BosonMichael

No... THAT^ is in reference to a forum post or e-mail correspondence (or Lord forbid, a formal letter) typed up like a txt message.

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok, if I may just sum up here, what I think is the general consensus of opinion.

Txt speak is fine for texting on mobiles, due to the character constraints of using SMS.

Though it is comprehendable, it is considered inappropriate on Internet forums such as CF, that don't have such character limit constraints and are frequented by many regulars that find it irritating for a number of reasons.

Once again I would ask anyone reading this to 'not personalise the debate' as it's counter productive and likely to cause unnecessary offence.

We are all friends here 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

:blink...when i say "type of people i have comms with", i refer to friends/family/collegues/managers etc etc. Friends receive tx speak sometimes. Family sometimes if i know they will understand, colleuges i use correct grammar/english, managers also get correct grammar and english....do you see my point now ffreeloader? Again, it has zero to do with me not respecting my family and having greater respect for collegues...your theory imho in ridiculous.
    Maybe the above will help you put your second paragraph into context too. Think about that.

Age has nothing to do with how you see the world and how mature you are. It SHOULD, but it clearly does not.Im sorry you had no respect for yourself when you were my age...must have made you conjour up all sorts of ideas about respect as a result.:)

Thank you BM for clarifying my point to FF.

my bad, read it wrong.:oops:

16. ffreeloader

Thank you, for proving my point. It's respect for other people that causes you to change your mode of communication based on who the person is, what their position is in your life, and your knowledge of what they normally use to communicate.

You most likely don't use text speak with your grandmother. Why? Why not just use text speak and expect her to learn it if she wants to communicate with you?

17. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Now is the time to take a breath and take stock.

I for one do not like txt speak except on mobo talk. That is the place for it and even then I choose not to use it.

On a forum such as this when age. nationality etc ranges widely, I feel it is only right that we should post in proper English and grammer and help others who's English is not their first tongue so that they can communicate effectively. The only other thing on this I will say is that we should not start flaming people in regard to the poster's spelling or grammer if it is not perfect. None of us are perfect in this and I feel it is unjust if we comment and discuss that on an open forum on that.

Lets face it we are all here to help each other, that the first thing about CF.

Language/profanity is another thing that has been mentioned. This forum is on the internet and as such is unmanaged in who accesses it. This mean that as members of CF we call have a responsibility in the manner in which we post. Yes, the profanity filter is there, but as I see it, it is set fairly low so it does not restrict to how members post. It can be set higher and the mods can be more pro-active in the way the look at posts, but that will be wrong for CF.

You ALL have a responsibility on how you post on the forums and we should keep a professional method of posting on the forum whether we are working in IT or just starting.

Let's start looking at the words we use and too whom we are talking to. Usual forum protocols are preferred, in that posting capitals is shouting, txt talk is not preferred and swearing should be kept to a minimum, esp as under 16 yrs could be reading this.Trying to circumvent the profanity filters will be met with the infraction system and posts edited.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  18. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

*sigh*...talk about missing the point.

I dont respect my manager more so than my parents or family. Cant you see that it is obsurd to even suggest such a thing?? Its not about respect ffreeloader, and i wish you would see that.
    It's about "a time and place for everything" type attitude. It's just not that "done thing" to type an email to your manager and use text speak to address him/her. I WOULD to my family if i so wished because it is more of a relaxed relationship.

In re to prooving your point, why are we even debating this if you are in agreement with what i am saying??
    It seems to me you're jumping from one thing to the next and not really justifying anything.

My main point is that i do not stray from text speak with managers etc because i respect them....hell...some managers i dont respect at all, but i know my boundaries with people i communicate with because for example, he has the power to fire me...lol....that doesnt mean i respect him...it means i know my place with him. There is a HUGE difference between respecting and having a sense of "acknowledgement" imo.

In re to AJ's post, yes i totally agree with it. I have already stated i am not a text speaking goblin or anything that loves using it, my posts i feel justify that. I have already said there is a time and place for it. I just think the whole respect thing is obsurd. Thats my opinion though. :)

19. BosonMichael

I love my son. But if he were to type/write txt to me in anything other than a txt message, I would see that as a sign of disrespect. YOU might not think that's absurd, and YOU might not think it's relevant... but just because there is SOMEONE in the world who sees it as that should cause you to stop and consider whether or not to use txt to communicate.

It's all about perceptions, mate. For example, consider the ages-old debate as to whether a degree from an online college or technical college is as respected as a degree from a traditional university. You may learn just as much (or more!) at an online school or technical school... but there are going to be employers who don't hold degrees from online schools and technical schools in the same regard as they do degrees from traditional universities. It doesn't matter whether YOU or I think about the quality of education is at one of those schools... it matters what EMPLOYERS think about the quality of education at those schools. After all, they are who you are trying to impress.

Same with texting. Doesn't matter what you think... it matters what the recipient thinks. And just knowing that several of us here find texting to be disrespectful should let you know why you should make every effort to avoid texting outside of a text message.

With your family, you know your audience (or at least, you assume you do). So if you want to text to them, that's fine. If you know your employer's fine with it, then txt away. I'm simply saying that SOME people will find it to be disrespectful whether or not you see anything wrong with it.

20. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Couldn't agree more:
    Perception is reality...