HAs texting destroyed the way people should write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 30, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It seems to me that a lot of people cannot write/type in English anymore. You get sentences like "can ne 1 give some advise" and "you sed this" when it should be can anyone give some advice. and you said this.

Now I admit it myself my grammer isn't the best but I think it is a bit more legible than some of the threads lately.

Is it me or has texting on mobile phones made proper writing out of date so to speak or is it just laziness?

It annoys me for some reason.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, no reason for it, especially in emails.

If I had my way the spam filter would delete the emails automatically :twisted:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

...or your spelling :biggrin (sorry, couldn't resist!)

I hate textspeak - I HATE it. I think I've posted on this forum more than once about this 'phenomenon' and how stupid it makes people seem when they use it in everyday life. Posting on a forum where there are a number of people who don't speak English as their primary language its amazing that those people often make better use of English than so-called 'native' speakers.

I'm sure people only do it for effect anyway - my ten year old nephew doesn't use it so why should a twenty year old at university? Utterly pathetic.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. greenbrucelee

I would block emails like that too, and put them in a special folder called stop talking **** and write properly folder :p

since when did naughty words get stars to replace the letters?

5. greenbrucelee

My spelling sucks sometimes, but I think people can see what it means instead of looking like some bloody Hieroglyphic writing by some 20 year old graduate.:biggrin

6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I think it depends in what context its being used. Remember you can only fit in a certain number of characters in a text, so the more you can shorten it, the better. Saves your time and your money. When my close friends and I text eachother, its very very cut down, as in "u cmn dwn chls 2nt 4 th gm?" etc ... but as we both understand it, I cant see a problem.

Although when there is no limit, such as in emails and on forums, it just looks stupid, and pretty pointless.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. greenbrucelee

its ok for texting but thats where it should stop.

8. Sparky

What he said. 8)

Or

wht he sed

Is that right? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. greenbrucelee

I think its wot e sed :D

10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd put "wht e sd"! Thats another problem, everyone uses different ways of doing it, lol, confusion everywhere!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

We had a problem at the service desk where I used to work. Some of the Service desk folks would write problem tickets in text speak. now thats just annoying

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  12. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Jea, wot e sed.
    To some extent it will be just lack of interest in the language, to some extent it will be lack of knowledge, to some extent it will be being lazy.
    I hate those posts to. I start with looking who the writer is. Sometimes people just do not know how to write proper English because they are not Enlish speakers themself. I tend to forgive them.
    When I know the writer is English speaking, I ignore the post.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

oooh boy yes, that was incredibly annoying. Especially when coupled with a blatant inability to actually decribe the problem. Or worse, the need to describe everything ('It was about 1600 on a sunny thursday that this problem started...').

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Sparky

LOL!

Sounds like a guy I work with.

“John called the helpdesk today to report that his Dell laptop is not running very well. He does not know what the problem is therefore he called the helpdesk to talk to me. I then said I would have a look at the laptop but John said he needed to use it blah blah”

<call gets escalated to me>

I put in the call..

“Have you tried rebooting the laptop?”

<call gets reassigned back to the helpdesk>

“I called John and asked him to reboot the laptop and he asked me if I wanted him to shutdown or restart the laptop... .....<insert pointless crap here> ...and the problem is now resolved.

Call time: 15 mins
    Wasted time: 2 days

:biggrin :biggrin

15. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I fully agree text speak is pretty annoying, but could this be the next evolution in language? I'm quite sure the Ancient Greeks and Egyptians were fairly miffed when the elements of alphabet completely replaced hieroglyphics, now maybe text speak (and, ironically, the use of 'smileys' instead of the written word, so a reversion to using symbols rather than alphabet) is sounding the death bell for prose...

Give it a couple of years and I bet CVs will be written entirely in this ****e.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  16. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

It's just the times we live in now, Its not "hip" to write and talk proper england! ooops english....

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

That's awesome...

18. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I think the problem is texting and IM.
    I can't read that stuff. When texting, I'll write the whole thing out and if I'm over the character count I'll go back and find creative ways to shave off some; but I can't think / write like that from the beginning.

19. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I agree. What's more, I have no desire to learn or use it. I just find it incredibly annoying.

The way I see it, if someone comes here to ask for help and uses text speak, well, they get ignored. I'm not their buddy who they text back and forth with all the time. I don't know their code, and if they expect me to learn their code to communicate with them when plain old English is available to communicate with, well, they are just up a creek without a paddle if they are wanting help from me.

I'll help someone to whom English is their second language any day of the week, but completely ignore someone who uses text speak as their first language.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

On a professional forum... speak professionally. You never know who is reading your posts. Those who believe that, "It's just a forum - nobody (no1 :p) is going to care how I type," would be quite surprised to know the truth. I've gotten two job offers based on my forum posts. I'm quite sure those job offers wouldn't have come if I had posted in l33t or txt.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!