Has everyone else already noticed this?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ffreeloader, Oct 14, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't know how many months I've been using Firefox, but I just realized today that Firefox, when it sorts bookmarks, is case sensitive. IOW's if you have a bookmark named "abc" it will sort it alphabetically so that it follows a bookmark named "ZZZZ".

I can't believe how long it takes me to notice some things. :lolbang

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

lol I can't believe some of the things you notice :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. ffreeloader

I can't believe how long it takes me to notice some stuff.

Are you saying you've never noticed it? I always wondered why some of the bookmarks I have would be out of alphabetical order but never really gave much thought to it. Then today I renamed a link so it would make more sense to me than the default name and in the process changed the first letter from lower to upper case and it changed the sort order. So, I experimented with it and lo and behold, Firefox sorts on case.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Freddy, you have WAAAYY to much time on your hands!!! :p

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

:blink

freddie, i'm saying this as a friend, you really REALLY need to get out more. :alc

6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

lol this is going to confuse matters but it doesnt happen with me Freddy :)

I organise my bookmarks folder by right clicking the menu and selecting sort by name.

Before i sort them out, FireFox adds them to the bottom of the list in the order i saved them.

Am i missing something?

Neall

WIP: A+
  7. ffreeloader

Neall,

Rename one of your bookmarks that starts with a capital letter so that it begins with a small case letter. Then right click and sort by name. You'll see that Firefox moves that bookmark.

In Linux Firefox sorts A-Z, a-z.

In Windows Firefox does it just a bit differently. "A" comes before "a", and "B" comes before "b". Other than that they are sorted alphabetically. You can test this on the Firefox and Mozilla Links folder of bookmarks that is installed with Firefox. It has three bookmarks that have "Firefox" as the first word. Rename the first one to "firefox" and when you resort by name it will become the last bookmark to start with the word Firefox.

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Freddy mate the same rule applies for IE...like Neall says it saves them in the order you bookmark them, so e.g. you save Wincustomize first then you save Microsoft second...it will show it in that order until you sort them in alphabetical order...I have over 30 bookmarks on IE and was getting sick and tired of searching thru the list for the page I wanted so I just put them in name order and now it all looks sweeter...but yeah I agree with the rest of them you do have too much time on your hands mate...haha and its hilarious u only noticed this now...but thats life...u learn something new everyday...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I think its more to do with the underlying filesystem Freddy, as the observation that firefox on linux sorts A-Z then a-z whereas windows firefox sorts Aa-Zz dicates
    the same can be said for the underlying filesystems

ls -l in my home directory returns
    Desktop/ before colour.sh

whats odd however is firefox stores bookmarks in a single XML file i believe?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Yea mate, thats the one.
    Didn't realise you were refering to Linux.

Neall

WIP: A+
  11. ffreeloader

LOL. I don't know which is funnier. My not realizing that the Firefox alphabetical sorting included case, or you thinking I didn't realize that bookmarks could be alphabetically sorted at all after reading this thread. Neither one of us are shining examples of keen observation. :twisted:

12. ffreeloader

Well, actually Firefox doesn't sort by case the way Debian does. Nautilus, the default Gnome file manager doesn't sort Aa-Zz and neither does the output of ls -al when run on Debian. Both are strictly alphabetical and ignore case in their sorting.

Here's a partial output from ls -l to illustrate.

I'm also attaching a screenshot of Nautilus. As you can see it doesn't sort like Firefox does either. Firefox is the only one program I know of on Debian that sorts the way it does.

Attached Files:

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can't believe you named your machine "Job". Of course, I've named computers "Abraham" and "Tevye". :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. ffreeloader

Well, over time I've had Solomon, David, Paul, Freddy, Job, Daniel, George, and a bunch I've forgotten by now.

I knew a programmer that named his laptop Butterfly. When I first saw it in the server access logs I thought we'd been hacked.... :biggrin