1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone worked for the Geek squad

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I've seen an online ad for a job with the Geek squad working for the Carphone Warehouse and it's a rare IT support job where I live.

So has anyone worked with them before?

I think I read an article in the Times a few years ago about them, and there was something about how Geek squad members have to call themselves 'Agents' (as if they're in the FBI :biggrin) and I think at the time I was a bit put off.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I saw them advertise a store job not so long ago in oxford, requirements MCSE and a MS A+.

Considering the whoever wrote the ad (wasn't an agency but geek squad themselves) couldn't even get the Comptia qualification's name right and put down a MCSE for a basic customer service position within the store they didn't make me feel that confident in the brand.

Since I have read loads of bad stories from customers, I think they're regarded like PC world in manys eyes. Its a shame to stereotype these companies because i am sure some really bright people work for them.

One way to look at it is a job is a job

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

Well they started it, I resent being referred to as a 'geek' just because I work in IT, we have a hard enough time dispelling the social outcast stereotype label and our own industry reinforcing it doesn't help matters.

I wouldn't want their name on my CV, imagine going for a position at a blue chip company when you have 'Geek Squad Agent' listed as a previous job title.:oops:

4. supernova

I mean many people have a sterotypical view that most PC World techinicians don't know what they are on about and are students, cheap labour and had no/little training etc etc.

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Pay peanuts, get monkeys

Say no more ! :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. supernova

Thats what i mean about been sterotypical some computer science students can be very good pc world employees and take the job because of hours. Yet others come from a different planet and don't have a clue. Its houses for courses.

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think you mean horses :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. supernova

Yes, god knows why i put houses must be a typo :oops: