Has anyone worked for or dealt with a complany called World Wide Tech services?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by GSX1100, Jul 9, 2010.

1. GSX1100

GSX1100 New Member

I have been offered a job with them as a Dell Field Engineer,they offer Dell certification(DCSE) for free.
    My real concern is that they dont pay a fixed wage,you get paid £14 per call and I've been told that there are 5 calls a day on average
    If I was uemployed and single I would have no concerns but I have a family and a pretty good job in hospitality at the moment.
    Has anyone ever done this type of work and been paid on a similar basis?

WIP: A+,Net+
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Sounds weird. I wouldn't bother.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

£14 per call :blink and how many people do you have to work with? or is that you will get an average of 5 calls a day?

Even if it is that you will get £14 per call that is pretty crap.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

What he said ^

All sounds very strange, particularly a completely flat £14 a call rate....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

How can they say that they will pay you £14 per call, what if that call takes 6 hours? What if it takes 5 minutes?

I would steer clear from any company that pays you per call, you want a daily\hourly rate, doing it on a per job rate is just asking for trouble especially if you suddenly find you're getting all the problem calls and only doing 1 or 2 per day.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

If you just doing Dell callouts then I am guessing it will only be swapping out parts. As Dell support would have loggon and diagnosed the problem and send the parts to you changing.

This is what happens everytime I have called Dell support with server problems we have with any of our customers.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  7. AllanWallace

AllanWallace Bit Poster

Some years ago (2001 to 2003) I worked for a large Global Services provider as a Customer Retail Engineer. Amongst other things, this job involved providing cover for two main brands of desktop PC - one of whom was Dell. (The company I worked for was a subcontractor to Dell, strangely...)

Anyway, the majority of the calls were indeed simple board-swap or disk replacement calls, occasionally swapping CPUs, Motherboards, DVD drives, video cards, or in rare cases entire systems, or monitors. In the nearly three years that I did that job, I only once encountered a Dell job that required much in the way of diagnostics, and that was less than an hour,

BUT...

£14 per callout, based on 30 minutes travelling time to, and 30 minutes travelling back from a call doesn't give a reasonable wage on it's own. You would probably find that you would only know what you were doing or where you were going for the day ahead, and not in advance, which causes issues If you want to startup an IT repair business at the same time. However, If you can fit IT repair business around doing this type of work, it can be a good way to get experience if you need it.

If the £14 per callout flat fee included their payment to you for travelling time and fuel expenses, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA, MCTS 70-680, MCP 70-291, 70-290, 70-270, NVQ3, NVQ2
    WIP: MCITP, ITIL
  8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Home based then?

Never came across them....

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed, time you take into account wear and tear on your car, petrol, you time stuffing around, it will be less than minimum wage, steer clear unless they offer significant other benefits or pay schemes which sounds unlikely.

Either that or take the training and then quit, but I expect they have some sort of payback clause.

10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Whilst pumping more of his minimum wage into a waste of time.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

Thats funny
    while googling i just found this which sounds pretty much like what you are describing

TBH if i wasnt in college i would take it however i dont have a family to support there fore i see your point in not taking it

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  12. GSX1100

GSX1100 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys,I think I'll stay where I am for the moment and just keep looking.
    Part of me is tempted to take the job just to get my foot in the door but I know that I wont be able to support my family at that wage.

WIP: A+,Net+
  13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Sorry, even without a family to support £14 per call is frikkin ridiculous, as others have said just running your car to go too and from the jobs is probably going to end up being more than the call out fee.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10