Has anyone who works in IT progressed from helpdesk to a programming job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

If so, how did you do that? Was a helpdesk job a foot in the door but you always had the intention of moving onto programming? How long did you remain in the tech job?
    I've tended to view the two fields as separate.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would view the 2 areas in IT as very different disciplines and would say that support isn't a foot in the door for a programming job because they both require a very different skill set. It's like saying being a fireman and a policeman both come under emergency services but are leagues apart in what they do. Saying that I have seen jobs in IT support that asked for programming skills but this would be things like scripting and not full on programming.

If your looking to get into programming and depending on your age and circumstances you could try looking for a junior job in programming and take it from there.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would also view them as separate.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. hercs

hercs New Member

I did,,, was originally employed at helpdesk,, then noticed the it dept was short staffed so always volunteered to fix stuff,just ,,

Eventually, there was a job at the development team, so was told that if I could prove myself that i had knowledge to do it by passing a few of teh Microsoft exam then they were prepared to take me on as a trainee developer,,, so seeing as i was very keen to get out of the helpdesk role,,, I studied hard & got my rewards.

Certifications: ITILv3, PRINCE2, ECDLv4, MOUS, MCP