Has anyone passed CIW web design manager exam and got a job?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Malky1888, Sep 20, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

First up, Bill Gates doesn't know s***. He was just a lucky stiff, in the right place at the right time - with a lot of money given to him by his parents to help start Microsft and riding on the back of a lot of work done by Paul Allen.

Secondly, I have worked in various organisations where I have had close contact with design/marketing departments - including companies with dozens of web designers/developers (25 where I currently work) - not a single one of them has ever heard of the CIW. Just because I'm not a web developer doesn't mean I don't know whether a cert is respected or not - for instance, I bet you've heard of the CCNA and the MCSE, correct?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Most web developers get jobs because they are good at what they do and some have port folios to backup their work.

Bill G was lucky or a robber whatever you want to call him, someone wrote Dos he got it patented sold it IBM bought it back then robbed windows from system 7 :) business is business :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

For anyone who hasn't, I can heartily recommend reading 'Accidental Empires'.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

I never implied you weren't experienced or knowledgeable. I simple said, no one knows everything! Bill Gates included. :D CIW in the U.S is popular but i also hear, making it's way here. I can't comment on who knows of it, as i don't know a great deal. I familiarise myself with what I need to being on a part time program. Yes, to answer your question I know what CCNA and the MCSE are. I thought people used forums to network, share ideas and help one another, not to be patronised.

Certifications: CIW Associate, CIW Javascript
    WIP: CIW Website design manager
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You heard wrong... CIW's just as dead here as there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've worked with many web developers and ebusiness managers, hardly any of them either had heard or cared about the CIW.

By all means do it for the training, but in that case you could take any one of many courses, the OU do a web developer certificate, or theres a HNC etc.

The idea a cert will make you a 'Web site manager' is also a bit of a misnomer.

If you did the Master CIW Enterprise Developer Certification you'd at least end up with a Sun cert and some DB knowledge.

Mind you Sun might get bought by IBM, Bea got bought by Oracle, so I'm quite glad I didn't get any Bea certs in the end. It takes years for employers and recruiters to pick up on a cert track, changing them and rebranding them every ten minutes does not help. Cert proliferation does not help either, if an employer has heard of CIW will they know the difference between an Associate and a Web Site Manager ?

The trouble with certifications is they are often only as useful in the real world as the marketing behind them.

Academic qualifications on the other hand have value worldwide, I can put my degree down on job application forms, visa forms, college applications, professional body registration etc, worldwide and get credit for it.

7. Belmont

Belmont Bit Poster

No degree or cert can earn you a job for sure. But it is useful when you apply for a job and they look at your CV. You can be fluent and able to interprete in five languages if there's no official achievements you can put in your CV to get the attention. They call it "marketing"... :)

Certifications: none related
    WIP: Master CIW Web Site Manager
  8. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

Well, you should be aware then that CIW is increasing in popularity. 'Working in IT' is very unspecific. Many areas encompass the subject, development being just one and one individuals opinion. When you know languages, you know them, regardless of whatever system of study you used!. I find this forum very negative towards CIW from people with no awareness of it yet feel strongly enough to comment. So I ask again, how can comments be made on a subject, 'one' knows very little about?. The mind boggles.

9. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

Ok, well you've not heard of so I'll immediately abandon my study based on that..lol

10. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

Totally, agree.. other factors ensure employment and a certain amount of luck and skill. I can work happily on one but sadly, not the other. ;-)

11. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

You sourced that from where - please do tell?. Work?. People you know?. The milkman?.

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

It's simple. This is an open forum and we allow people to express their own views.

CF does not comment on the validity of those views but everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether they have knowledge of the subject or not.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No it isn't.
    You've been very quick to attack others as the where they get their information from and what they base their beliefs on. So how do you figure that CIW is increasing in popularity? From what to what exactly, and where did you get your facts from?

I know shed loads about CIW. I've studied it for years, I'm a certified instructor and I know the good people at ComputerPrep.

So, go on, ask away - rather than continue having a conversation with yourself...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. BosonMichael

Dude, I've been CIW certified going on 9 years now, been in IT for 12, and currently work in the IT certification training industry... and I can promise you that most Web design companies couldn't care less about CIW. What they want to see is a portfolio of sites you've designed... not a bunch of letters that tests on whether you know a bunch of buzzwords. :rolleyes:

Believe what you want... but don't expect to throw up unfounded claims and allegations and not expect to have them get shot down.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

This thread has been necro-posted no less than twice. And on both occassions by the same person.

I should also point out, Mikey, that its hard to effectively carry on a 'discussion' or 'argument' when you leave it over a year between posts in said argument.

I think the below is an apt response in this case.

[​IMG]

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

and yet another necro-post. That actually makes it 4 times now in total.

Anyone care to place a wager on the next time this will be necro-posted? Lets have a sweepstake. And perhaps next time the necro-post might actually add something of value to an already dead thread, rather than just being useless, inane, babble.

Perhaps we should look at putting in some sort of auto-lock feature into CF. I'm sure vBulletin will have the feature somewhere.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. BosonMichael

His smiley is from another site... it's an attempt at SEO spam.

Alerted the mods.