Has anyone passed CIW web design manager exam and got a job?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Malky1888, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Malky1888

Malky1888 New Member

HAS ANY1 PASSED THE CIW WEB DESIGN MANAGER EXAMAND ACTUALLY GOT A JOB WITH IT?

Certifications: None
    WIP: Computing (Honours) (OU)
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

My head hurts. :(

I can't see how a cert will get you a job though. It'll help with getting a job no doubt but you need to put the effort in to getting a job. Doing the CIW will obviously help you towards your goal.

Chris

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. Malky1888

Malky1888 New Member

aye but, when the rep was in telling me about the course he was telling me how, if you pass your exam, they get you a job earning 20 or 25k a year or they refund you the full price of the course.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Computing (Honours) (OU)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

To land a job earning £20-25k after passing a ‘test’ is questionable. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Then everyone would be taking the course to earn 20-25k a year! or they get there money back which would mean they go bust surely ? :o

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hmmm.... Have you got it in writing? In a contract? And is it legally binding? :hhhmmm

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What have you actually done to try and find work?

Having a PhD in rocket science won't 'get' you a job.
    What do you do, send your certificate out every morning and tell it not to come home until it has found you gainful employment?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Im currently studying & will gain this qualification, but i heard on ere that somebody did it in 9 mnths, woh e musta been @ it 24/7 eh.Please reply.

WIP: Hoping to gain
  9. gordon

gordon New Member

It depends on your background, experience and what method of study you are doing. I have been what I would class as an amatuer web designer/developer for a few years, finally decided to make a proper go of it and get a cert and start selling my services. Took me four weeks to study for and pass (comfortably) Foundations, Site Design and E-Commerce Designer - giving me Master CIW Designer. The managers course is four exams if I remember correctly, but given the right circumstances it should be possible in less than 9 months! ;)

Regards,

Gordon

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
  10. Jasiano

Jasiano New Member

wow that was quick!.. iv been doing mine for about a year and a half while working full time, i stopped working in january to focus on my course and build a portfolio. im currently nearly finished section 4 part A, just have section 4 part b to do then the exams and im all done.

to the earlier question will it get you a job, im hoping to get one out of this. im currently freelancing to build a strong enough portfolio to show employers, i want my work to get me the job not my cert. But its up to you no1 is going to throw u a job based on a qualification, i do my studies but spend double the amount of time working on other projects and studying other web languages not covered in the course.
    its all about PractisePractisePractise!
    Its not gonna be easy but its entirely upto you :) good luck!

WIP: CIW Web Design Management
  11. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

In re to this thread: see these three threads:

http://certforums.com/forums/thread22984.html

http://certforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17723

http://certforums.com/forums/thread11894.html (self study guide)...to me the best alternative for web design, without having to pay loads of £££

The links above explain in numerous/detail about CIW and th general opinion is:

CREATE A PORTFOLIO OF WORKS YOU CAN DO/DEMONSTRATE
    PERHAPS LEARN WHILST YOU CREATE YOUR PORTFOLIO
    BUY THE RELEVANT BOOKS ETC

A good site to start with is : www.westciv.com ... basically outlines css/html -where you should start.

Hope that helps.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  12. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hi I'm a Master CIW and it certainly has not helped me find a job cos no one I've met has heard of it!!. However the course is a good introduction to HTML, CSS, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash. You also get a very very basic introduction into Windows Server 2003 (installing security certificates etc) and ready made e-commerce solution.

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  13. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

It's not simply a 'test', its a full qualification, which includes 5 certs, 2 of which are lanaguages for development. A portfolio in addition would probably get you a job but I don't know of any qualification, solely in I.T that would secure you something without the gift of the gab and ability to sell yourself at interview.

Certifications: CIW Associate, CIW Javascript
    WIP: CIW Website design manager
  14. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

Certs only get you so far. In addition, it helps who you know, a lot of luck and the skill of shameless self promotion!. I'll get a job, my cert will help but I won't rely on it entirely. I agree with previous comments, it's certainly good skill base and grounding. Notice lots of comments on here from users, NOT holding/studying towards CIW certs, so it poses the question on how they assume to be in the know of their usefulness?.

15. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Because they already work in IT.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

and didnt necro-post.... :dry

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

I'm gonna get my degree and earn lots n lots of money..loads!

Back in the real world now!

Im just about to push on and do Section 2 Part A of this course, study study study and never finnish learning.

Somewhere along the line im sure with a bit of initiative and self drive, with the help of SkillsTrain im sure all things will start to produce tasty friut.

Godd luck!:eek:

WIP: Hoping to gain
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

having a qualification does not mean you will get a job and anyone who tells you you will definetly get a job is talking out of their arse. It may make you more attractive to an employer than someone who doesn't have this qualification but thats it.

I drive a fast car doesn't mean I am gonna get a job driving formula one cars does it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

Yes, as I said with qualifications from other providers!. I ask the question again as everyone does not know everything - with respect this group included. Unless BIll Gates is on here of course. I'm sure you'll agree thats a fair comment generally in I.T. No two developers/designers are equal. Always learning. CIW is useful for breaking into the industry and from people I've spoken to, no sole qualification is more desireable than another. A guy told me once, a degree is national, a cert is global. I don't believe that to be the case as people with a degrees here, can work anywhere, as I also believe 'certain' people with certs could. It's a lot to do with the individual and networking also.

20. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

I am on the Skillstrain CIW program. Skillstrain are crap and can't be relied on for support and if you are relying on them I pity you!. Answer e-mails, calls re: the course, unfortunately, they don't answer questions/explain.... There are forums galore illustrating this issue. Also, check this out.. He describes this matter and the course at length and has some vakluable IT experience to boot. http://ciwcourse.co.uk/