Has anyone here volunteered in IT with the Citizens Advice Bureau

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jo74, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

And if so, could you tell me what it was like? What sort of IT duties did you have to undertake? Were you a jack of all trades who had to respond to every computer related problem e.g a .pdf doc not opening? Or was it a more 'traditional' technical role, upgrading PCs for instance.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Have you been given the chance to volunteer with them? I would take the chance if you are looking for some experience.

I have never volunteered with them so can not say what sort of work they will expect you to do. Have you asked them?

Certifications: A few.
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No I have never volunteered with them but as Rob said if you have the chance then take it. It may be all your doing is making sure everything as is it's supposed to be but it's experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Andy_h

Andy_h New Member

yes i volunteer here in merseyside, i am a jack of all trades, they have an agreement with an it helpdesk that fieldmostof the calls, so mostlyits hands onstuff, replacing bits it just depends on what you want to do really, if you want any more info pm me.....but i enjoy it as you come ascross all sorts....

WIP: A+ MCDST
  5. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I did ask but it looks like they've taken on a full-time person as part of some scheme for the young unemployed but there's not much need for extra volunteers.

6. Andy_h

Andy_h New Member

strange as my local one has 1 paid and 4-5 volunteers......

7. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

4 - 5 IT volunteers?

8. welshwaynejack

welshwaynejack Bit Poster

Hey I managed to get some info on them myself and thought u might find it helpful...My local site lists the IT role as follows:

What do IT Support Volunteers do?
    IT support volunteers contribute to the day-to-day maintenance of the burea's IT systems, ensuring that the network is operational and that all users are problem free. The bureau's utilises some of the most latest technology and with that comes the need for technical support and maintenance. Purchasing new computers to our standard specifications, maintaining our server and network and providing technical support to users are some of the key tasks IT Support Volunteers get involved with.

What qualifications do I need to become an IT Support Volunteer?
    None, although we do ask that you have experience or an interest in IT. We have an experienced IT administrator on site that can offer on-hand support and guidance to you, to get you accustomed to the bureau's technology.

How much time will I have to commit and what about expenses?
    Volunteering with us, means giving some of your time to help us and your local community, we understand that everyone has commitments and we are very flexible in terms of the amount of time you can spare. When you volunteer with us, any expenses you incur for childcare or travelling to and from the Swansea Bureau we will reimburse, so you won't be out of pocket. Also, volunteering will not effect your benefit entitlements.

What's in it for me?
    Volunteering is not always about giving, it's taking a little something too. Volunteering with us is a rewarding and challenging experience where you get to make a real difference to people's lives. You will get to work alongside a very diverse team of people and pick up lots of new skills which can help you in your career or generally your daily life. The work experience that you can gain with us as part of our IT Support Team, can be a good stepping stone to a new career or promotion and we will help you every step of the way.

Further information I discovered as part of the Wales Volunteering website...I believe there’s English and Scot equivalent...but it lists the tasks as follows:

IT Support:

To provide IT support within the bureau by:
    • responding to computer users queries/problems
    • resolving problems or providing 'how to' instructions
    • ensuring regular backup routine is followed and checked on daily basis
    • ensuring anti-virus software is up to date across network
    • be responsible for ensuring servers and workstations are up to date with latest security fixes/updates recommended by software manufacturers
    • placing service call with vendors and co-ordinators service for the user
    • reviewing records to check hardware/software inventory, update service calls, and verify or modify user indentification records
    • updating and revising reference materials and work procedures
    • ensuring all work carried out is documented and clearly understandable
    • ensuring Health & Safety Regulations for Display Screen Equipment are in place and staff and volunteers are aware of them
    • arranging disposal of old IT equipment
    • deliver basic IT training to individuals and groups of staff and volunteers, using in house training materials to enable both groups to reach Keyskills for computer Users Level 1/2
    • carry out coaching for other IT users
    • updating advisernet CD on laptops monthly
    • upgrading software
    • upgrading CASE adding shortcuts to desktops

Hope that helps ya!...I myself have considered them once i finish my masters off but I discovered a local company that offers more it related tasks such as PC wiping/recycling and local development so might go with them instead..

Certifications: Bsc Computer and Information Systems
    WIP: Msc Computer Forensics
  9. Andy_h

Andy_h New Member

yeah our it manager prefers one for each site that we have...but thats only happened recently....

10. RichGK

RichGK Bit Poster

I spent a few months with a branch upgrading them from a peer to peer network to a domain based one. Apart from the main project I also did helpdesk for them (it was only a small branch of 30 people).

Each CAB area is it's own franchise so to speak and all work differently. It's a good place to get a feel for the helpdesk roll and you might also get an opportunity to do server work in a larger environment.

Certifications: Dip Comp (Open)
    WIP: MCITP
  11. Len

Len Byte Poster

Probably one of those remaining "Future job fund" vacancies.

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+