Has anyone else started the self study V5 Foundation course?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by practicallymagic, Mar 1, 2007.

1. practicallymagic

practicallymagic New Member

Morning!

For those of you who didn't see my post in the newbie section, hello there!

I've just started studying CIW Foundation through self study and wondered whether there was anyone else doing it?

I've worked through the first lesson so far and I'm loving it! Just wish I didn't have to go to work so I could get more done!! :biggrin

WIP: CIW v5 Foundations
  2. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

Hi,

I have just done the eam from self sudy! How much previous knowledge/experience have you had in the industry?

Andrew

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, CIW Associate & CIW Pro
    WIP: CIW E-commerce and 70-270
  3. practicallymagic

Excellent! How did you get on?

I am finding it a bit slow going getting through the literature as there is always something else going on!

I don't have a web job, but I'd love one...hence starting this course to help me get a good background!

Apologies if this is yawnworthy, but this is my background:

I did a Library and Information Management degree, which involved web and database design which I thoroughly enjoyed (wished I'd done a degree in Information Management and Computing now!). Also did my dissertation on downloading music from the internet which I found fascinating.

Anyway, then got a job in information management which is great and everything, but I'm not inspired and my brain is rusting!

I took on creating an internal wiki for my team and suddenly found my enthusiasm! I love the internet, applications etc and I really want to find a way in to a suitable career

....and breathe! I so want to change career paths but am finding it a bit of a struggle...bet you wished you hadn't asked now!!! :oops:

4. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

Well I think the CIW is a good path to go down to change your career! Remember though it wont gurantee you a job but will put you in an advantage.

I didn't really study for the associates exam, just done a few practice test for ******** and then took the exam. I passed with 96% on this exam.

Now studying for the site designers exam which I am looking at taking next week.

The exam had a few questions xhtml, xml and a few on network security etc

couple of questions that stuck out were about ssh etc.

If you have any questions let me know and I will try and answer them the best I can :biggrin

Andrew

MOD EDIT SG: Remove name of Braindump supplier

5. practicallymagic

Thanks!

Well done on the exam result! So you found the ******* good then?

Just went on to their website, did you buy it from them direct from there?

MOD EDIT SG: Remove name of Braindump supplier

6. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

Yes bought it direct from them as it all went against business expense!

Some of the questions on the practice exams were exactly the same on the real exam which was good!

Transcender is also good but I couldn't find the exam for CIW for them!

Andrew

7. practicallymagic

I wish mine was going through business expense! I think this whole thing is going to cost me a small fortune!!!

8. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

unfortuantely with a lot of study materials you get what you pay for. Sometimes its not worth gettin cheap alternatives of ebay etc. Get recommended books/practice tests.

Someimtes you are better going for the exam, if you pass great if you fail you know what the exam is going to be like for the future.

I would efiantely recommend you look into XHTMl a bit on XML and basic internet protocols.

Do you knw what service uses port 80?
    Do you know what SSH is?
    Do you know the benefits of using external style sheets?
    Do you know speeds of internet connections and put them in an order of slowest to fastest?
    Can you look through code and see whether it will pass/fail W3C validation without putting it through a vlidator?

Andrew

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Iklekid,

You realise that what you used to help you to pass the exam are what are known as Braindumps? Or Actual exam questions? In effect what you are doing by using these materials is breaking the Non Disclosure Agreement that you agree to when you take the exam.

10. practicallymagic

from a quick bit of internet research:

port 80 is the port that the server "listens to" or expects to receive from a Web client

SSH is a set of standards and an associated network protocol that allows establishing a secure channel between a local and a remote computer.

The speeds one:
    Dial up modem = up to 56Kbps
    ISDN = 64-128Kbps
    DSL = 512 upstream, 32Mbps downstream
    Cable modem = 512Kbps-5Mbps
    Wireless = 1Mbps-54Mbps
    Satellite = 400Kbps
    E Carriers = 2.048 - 34.308 Mbps
    T Carriers = 1.544 - 44.736 Mbps
    Fiber-optic cable = Up to 100 Gbps

Benefits of external style sheets: Authors and web site managers may share style sheets across a number of documents (and sites).
    Authors may change the style sheet without requiring modifications to the document.
    User agents may load style sheets selectively (based on media descriptors).

The HTTP headers for a validation results page will generally look like:

HEAD 'http://validator.localhost/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org'
    200 OK
    [...]
    Content-Language: en
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
    X-W3C-Validator-Errors: 0
    X-W3C-Validator-Recursion: 1
    X-W3C-Validator-Status: Valid

.......Before looking them up I didn't have a clue! Great way to learn though!

11. practicallymagic

Goodness, should those companies be allowed to sell those packages then?:eek:

12. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

@simongrahamuk

Nope I did not know that! I was recommended them by a friend, and he works fr a large company that use them!

If thats the case I will ask for my money back and get rid of them!

As far as the Non discolsure agreement I didn't see anything on there about not to use ****** material etc.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

@practicallymagic

Nope they shouldnt be allowed to sell them, googling the company came up with some good reviews :ohmy

13. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

Also when I said the "same" as the exam questions I meant the questions were worded similarily! It wasnt the exact same test etc.

Andrew

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just bringing it to your attention! :wink:

The big give away for me was the title bar of their website - REAL EXAM QUESTIONS. The genuine test providers are often very difficult to spot from the dodgy ones if you don't know what you're looking for. Fortunately the CF staff have become quite used to looking out for this sort of thing!

You are right too thought that they shouldn't be selling them, but unfortunately there are so many of them out there and so many people who will do anything to get certified that they have a market. MS and others are trying to stamp them out, but its a big job.

8)

15. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

To be honest, when it was recommended by a friend and the company who heworks for use them I really didn't expect them to be breaking any regulations etc.

Are transcender exams ok?

16. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

Hi,

I have been reading this thread with interest as I am doing the Master CIW Designer certification and was wondering how can you tell a site is a "Braindumper"?

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
    WIP: Microsoft 70-305 & 70-306.
  17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

18. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

Thanks Simon :biggrin

19. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

To the point, keep up the good work.

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
    WIP: Microsoft 70-305 & 70-306.
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

From that post Simon linked to, I can personally vouch for Transcender and Self Test, as I wrote for them for a number of years. I know the folks at Boson, and they're legit as well. When my company BrainBeacon gets off the ground, our questions will be legit as well.

Most people don't know that some of those companies are braindumps. If you follow those guidelines on the thread Simon linked, you'll be able to avoid a large number of those sort of companies. If it sounds like it's too good to be true... it probably is.

Best of luck in the future!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!