Has anyone been TUPE'd? (Transfer of undertakings) to an outsourced IT company

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by hayden101, Sep 23, 2014.

1. hayden101

hayden101 Bit Poster

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well?

I have a question for all you lovely folks.

My current employer has informed us, the IT dept. that we are all to be TUPE’d to an outsourced IT company.:(

Has anyone been through this experience in the past and if so is there anything we should be aware of as the process moves along?

The outsourcing company that our employment is being transferred to is an Indian based company with offices globally. The company, from what we have found out so far leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. :unsure

Any info provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-290, 70-291
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi,
    This has happened to me and is nothing to worry about. We are well protected in the UK under TUPE. Some of my European colleagues are not so lucky. I was very apprehensive at first, vowing to leave early on. Five years later I'm still there and love it. I've been abroad a good few times, made great friends, and progressed my career and prospects massively because of the accounts I have worked on. I think you can find a bad review on any company, even the one you're at now. Make your own mind up, I'm sure it will open your eyes to what's out there. You can't beat working for an IT company.
    Cheers
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

TUPE'd in and out from an outsourcer.
    Don't let them stitch you up. Preserved conditions are for life (they tried to tell us it was for only 6 months). Query everything and get it all in writting. Make sure you chose a rep who will fight your corner. Make sure they know what conditions you are preserving and what you may be entitled to in the future (e.g. AL increases with service). You can change to the new companies T&Cs at any time, but you can't go back once you have given something up.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I was Tupe'd to an Indian outsource company also, Initially I also was very worried and concerned, but for me it has all worked out quite well and I have found the opportunities very good.

The good thing, certainly with the company I work for is that they are a little bit bums in seats, so even if you are not technically skilled enough to do a job, if you give a good account of yourself then they will let you move into a role and learn from colleagues etc as you go. It can be a steep learning curve, and they can be quite confrontational and direct if you ar enot doing things in a timely manner etc but if you work hard and learn well then it's very good.

The other good thing now is that due to changes in the way Visa's etc are processed and provided for our Indian colleagues, they are only allowed to come for 12 months, then must return and can't come back for another 12 months. This immediately, IMO, increses your stock as if they need someone to fill a position for upwards of 18months, then it's probably going to be more viable and economical to use someone who can stay whole term, than swapping people around. Also gives better opportunity for travel in the EU if it's an international company, as you can travel at the drop of a hat etc, where as again they will need to get visa's approved and so on and so forth.

The bad points I have found were mostly limited ot the early stages, adjusting to the difference in cultures and how Indian people work and the obvious slight language barrier. Once adjusted though then they are generally very good guys to work with, very social and easy to get on with etc.

The only other bad points I could say is that information can be slow coming through, Internally I mean, things are happening but people don't say anything. Again this was more an issue early on when we were all concerned about our jobs and really wasn't sure what was going on.

Also as Cello says above, make sure you get decent terms TUPE'd across, make sure you have a strong representative in the consultation phase and make sure you get the right deal. We didn't and we got told that our old Redundancy package (1 month pay for each year) would be carried for 2 years, after that we would revert to the new companies Redundancy package of 1 week per year. Whether there is a fight there later down the road to try and recover the better package, I don't know.

All in all though so far been quite pleasantly surprised.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!