Has any one heard of used this?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by mattwest, Apr 8, 2004.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi.

We currently use McAfee's for Anti Virus protection, but this expires in May.

My boss pointed me towards a program called "Kaspersky".

I've installed a version on a test box and it seems to work very well. Its cheaper than McAfee's and is apparantly the anti-virus program of choice for hackers.

It also has a feature to download updates to a central server and dish them out from there.

Its made in russia here's the site

Anyone used this or knows about it? Just after some comments etc.

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Matt, from what I've heard about them they are one of the better ones and in the same league as McA. Download a trial version and try it on one of your machines to see how you like it.

As far as I understand they are also integrated into F-Secure AV. It's also good.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Never used Kaspersky. We use Sophos in conjunction with Sophos enterprise manager which does a fantastic job for us. The enterprise manager maintains all the clients and enables you to roll out AV to boxes remotely. This in conjunction with Mailsweeper which blocks all emails with a virus before they enter the network keeps us ticking over virus free.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys, just wanted to canvass some other peoples opinions...

We used sophos and although it was good for automatic updates, it would detect viruses but never delete or quantine them, but we didnt have any fancy setup just monthly versions.

Thats why we moved to McAfee's but as its up for renewal i thought i'd look at something cheaper with centralised distribution.

(If i can take the responisibility away from the user, all the better!)

:D

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I tried it a while ago, and found it as useful as any. We currently use NOD32 (see HERE for details) on our personal machines at work. Even if you don't use it, it's a very informative website.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Matt

Yes I have and I use in on one of my Machines as it is supplied free to all Open University students.

I like the application and downloading from them is fast.

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We use Sophos as well. The default install is for Sophos to scan but do nothing with any viruses it finds. I believe it is set that way so that users have to inform IT about viruses and then deal with it. Well thats the way we do it anyway.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I'm not the greatest fan of Sophos, just my personaly experience with it and how it wouldnt clean viruses!

ummm.... :roll: