Harry Potter - Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 20, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

As I walked into Tesco's today I noticed another poster and advert splashed across the monitors in Tesco for the final Harry Potter book.

[​IMG]

You can't get away from it, it's on the TV, the Radio and its in the news paper. I even heard someone having a debate in a bookshop about what it will be like.

People are queing up from now and until midnight at the local supermarkets just to get a copy! :ohmy

So my questions are:-

Do you like Harry Potter?

Would you dress up as a Wizard, Witch or fairy(if that tickles your fancy) and walk into a book store to pick up your ordered copy?

Would que for almost 5 hours?

Do you hate and would prefer to que for a Playstation 3?

Or not bothered?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess I neither love it, nor hate it. I've got the first four books, but haven't read any of them. I saw the first movie, but haven't gone to any of the others. I don't guess I care much about it, but I don't hate it.

For the record, I don't care much for the PS3, or any other console, for that matter. If forced to stand in line for the boy wizard or the PS3, I guess I'd have to stand in line for the PS3 (if you're buying).

Also, for the record, I have dressed up as a wizard, and for days at a time... but I wouldn't do so for Harry Potter.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Never seen or read any of the Harry Potters and I am not likley to either unless get very bored.

I do however work with a guy who look like daniel ratcliffe so we call him Harry Potter.

I once dressed up as a witch for Halloween when I was 8.

The PS3 thing I wouldnt have one unless someone bought me it, I use to have an XBOX360 but sold it as I was getting pissed of with the fact that it was my fourth one as they kept overheating, well not the second one that just didnt work.

I would get an XBOX360 over the PS3 anyway if Microsoft sorted the overheating issue.

And before anyone says, yes it was in a well ventilated area and on a stable surface as the manual says it should be.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Are you ever going to read them or just using them to prop up wobbly table :p :biggrin

Really? - what was the occassion? :blink

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Neither. Never read any of the books or saw any of the movies. My daughter loves the thing, tho. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Wow I am glad I didn't buy Xbox 360. I asked a question about the Xbox here on CF a couple of months ago. But then had to spend the money on parts for car:(

But as you say if it overheats??

You would of thought the mighty Microsoft would of developed a better cooling system or developed a cooler-add on to the box?

When you say over heats, how long were you playing on it?:blink

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I expect your own books are magic enough eh?:tongue :biggrin

8. greenbrucelee

It doesnt overheat straight away, if you google xbox red lights of death (3 lights is what you get when the hardware fails because its melted) you will see that most are due to the 3 red lights problem and you will also see that most xboxs' last about 6 months before dying.

I had four in two years.

You can buy a cooling system but it isnt official Microsoft product and MS say that it draws power from the PSU so they dont reccomend it but it does work apparently.

My mate has just had his 3rd one replaced and now microsoft are issuing a 3 year warranty as they are now recognising the overheating problem, they will fix free of charge and pay postage cost etc.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Read them... eventually. :)

Sci-fi conventions and renaissance faires. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hardly. If I came up with a popular series like Rowling, I'd be set for life. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Blimey, sounds like a lot of money down the drain just to replace something that wasn't your fault in the first place!

What about Play station or Wii??

Do they overheat?

I had a similar experience with play station(one) with the first one overheating I had to turn the console upside down to play the game then about a week later turn it the correct way up!

I read on the net there were five version before play station 2 arrived, each one with various faults or designs. Still for it's time it was a cracking bit of kit and PC games could not compete with it (back then):biggrin

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

J.K. Rowling must be the richest Women in the world??

Or so I thought in fact she's 122 on the richest people in the world list with £280 Million pounds8)

Source:- BBC News

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The Wii overheats when its in standby mode but not when its on
    hehe
    how funny is that :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

If you had the money Trip would would you do?

Would you invent this?

Sigmund Freud Head Lollipops

More to the point why would anyone invent something like this?:blink

15. greenbrucelee

The has been a few issues with PS3 over heating but they have had more of a BIOS issue ie John Madden would not work as you need the new Bios for PS3 to work.

The only problem with the Wii I have heard of is people smash their Tvs when the wristrap on the controler snaps and the controller goes through the tV look on Wii have a problem.com its quite funny.

BTW I didnt have to spend any mony on replacements they were all free as I was within warranty but back then it was for only a year but because some peoples have lasted over a year before dying MS have given every registerd 360 owner an automatic 3 year warranty bill free and apparently they are going to do the same for unregistered customers but there will probably be a catch with that.

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hate it.

Diet Tolkein.

If you want to read fantasy, read Tolkein, Pullman, Pratchett, Piers Anthony or Weis & Hickman - not something that is (I don't care what anyone says about it being an 'adult series for kids') aimed at juvenilles.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

LOL that's odd you would of thought it would be the otherway round. still if you look at the below link you will see a video from youtube of itechnews pulling it apart. There's alot of foam for installation but no fans??

Inside a Wii

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

LOL :p :biggrin ...Ohh wait where you being serious??:ohmy :oops:

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Actually I used to read Terry Pratchett books.
    Sourcery, Reaper Man and Soul Music being my favourite.

Tolkein? The books are just too serious at least with Terry Pratchett there was a bit of humour to the stories.

Anyone else read Sci fi/fantasy??

20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I guess this is over stepping the mark:-

Childline prepare for upset Potter fans

That's right Child line have a 24-hour hotline service has even drafted in extra volunteers to cope with the expected demand,
    when the Harry potter book is realsed