Hardware swap question....

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jonny7_2002, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

PLAN IS:
    I have to swap an ASA 5505(DEVICE 1) with another ASA 5505(DEVICE 2) which has a different, bigger license installed.

Can i just take Device 1's startup-config and tftp it to Device 2's startup-config.....
    Then reload device 2 and put in place of Device 1....???? HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE!! :blink

This would work wouldnt it? or will i have to change/watch for anything? i remember something like the interfaces being shutdown if you do things like this but think i might just be doubting myself! :oops:

Cheers
    Jon

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

i would say that should work if they are identical devices in the physical sense.

Do it before you have to put the device in prod an just make sure all the config takes.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

errrr...... Device has already been shipped to site! :)

Was asking after the horse had bolted so to speak as there is a small doubt in my mind, hence the post but i will find out shortly when it arrives on site!

The config on DEVICE 2 looked identical to DEVICE 1 execpt for the cryptochecksum at the bottom which shouldnt be a problem!

Will let you all know once i know!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
  4. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

ALL GOOD! swapped over without any problems what so ever!! :)

5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

For future reference the only difference between the two devices when you have copied the config will be the mac addresses, so your possible problems would be related to mac address filtering and arp.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST