Hardrive not recognized During Windows Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Professor-Falken, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I have a HP Pavillion DV 1000 laptop and the hard drive is infected with multiple viruses, trojans, etc.
    I decided to backup, reformat, and reinstall windows. I removed the laptop SATA hard drive and connected it to a USB enclosure and made backups of it and put it back in the computer. When I run
    Windows Setup it loads file when prompted to Press Enter to Setup Windows it gives me the following error message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running the manufacturer supplied diagnostics or setup program.

When I boot the computer to the hard drive it boots windows so I know the hard drive is being recognized.
    But I dont know why Windows Setup will not recognize the hard drive, does anyone have any help.

Thanks,

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Because its a SATA drive! You need to get the drivers specific to your hard-drive type - your motherboards' sata chipset driver (try searching your motherboard manufacturers' website or use the disc that came with your motherboard), reboot using your XP CD, and during the setup process where it says "Press F6 to install third party drivers" at the bottom of the screen, hit F6 :p

Install the drivers and it should detect the drive. :)

Qs

PS - If this still doesn't work...(it should - but hey)

It may also help to disable additional IDE drives in the BIOS and shift the first bootable device to SATA.

If it still doesn't work...

Boot to your XP CD.

(Install SATA drivers)

Select the 'R' repair console option.

Choose the partition. (Enter the admin password if you set one, else just press enter)

When at the prompt....

Type "chkdsk /p /r"

Let it complete (it can take a while)

Reboot.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Or you could use the restore disk for the laptop, which will have the drivers built-in! :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Qs

What's a restore disc? Oh... those things I use as drink coasters!

Ah... the good ol' days of AOL. *nostalgia*

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Professor-Falken

What manufacturer the computer or hard drive.

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hint!

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Cough> Actually - the driver is for the SATA chipset on the motherboard, and not usually specific to the hard drive.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Qs

*smirk* Yeah, you do. Sorry Cheeks, you misunderstood what I meant. :D lol

EDIT - Original post edited for clarification. :p

9. Professor-Falken

Where would I find the drivers? At the manufacturers site of the computer or hard drive?

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

"AOL" should never be in the same sentence as "good".

Falken, yes, HP should have all the drivers you need on their Web site.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. JoshC

JoshC Bit Poster

found this on another site after I did a search for HP DV1000 sata on google

might help?