hard to find a IT job..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by abhi2002_sen, Aug 11, 2008.

1. abhi2002_sen

abhi2002_sen New Member

Hi,

I'm finding it preety hard to find an IT related job in UK. I've 2 years of experience as a system admin In india..I've completed My BEng in Uk. Its been long since i'm applying for jobs and do get reply back sometimes, but after the initial talks, which are not technical at all, they never revert back. i don't know what am i doing wrong. is it that i don't have any certifications? will MCSA help me in anyway to get a job?

any inputs will be appreciated..

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

It is a tough market at the moment.

Have you tweaked your CV as suggested here :

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6029

Also, depends what sort of jobs you're applying for and wehere - are you registered with several agencies too ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. abhi2002_sen

abhi2002_sen New Member

i think the CV is alright as i seem to get replies and attention. Yes i have posted my CV in several jobsites.
    basically i'm looking for jobs related to windows 2003 administration, active directory..exchange 2003..

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Dont take this the wrong way. But how good is your spoken english (it looks ok to me, but written is different to spoken in a lot of cases), and how thick is your accent (im making an assumption here that you are from India, since you have the experience from there. correct me if im wrong)?

Whilst I wish it wouldnt be the case, its possible that, if your english isnt really good, or your accent is very thick, it could be putting the prospective employers off hiring you. Particularly if the job is customer facing, and more so if the job is telephone based customer facing.

If thats the case, then perseverence is the only course of action really. and/or (if necessary) take steps to further improve your english.

Another alternative may be that your CV is presenting you in a light that conversations aren't upholding. I'm not saying you are sh*te, just that perhaps the CV is portraying you to be of a higher level than you are (either implicitly or explicitly) and when they see that, they get put off. Even if your level is suitable for what they have in mind, they may think you have deliberately misled them. It might be worth putting your CV up on CF (minus personal details) to see what people think.

I'm sure you will get a job at some point, just keep sticking at it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

I'm also looking for work in UK, and I have exactly the same problems...

When I present my MCDST even trying to get a job as 2nd Line Desktop Support, I still get answer "you well overqualified, you'll get bored after week, we'll find other position (maybe next year).."

Don't want to complaint, but in IT it's hard to get a job when you from outside english speaking zone - UK, Ireland, USA, Australia etc, Even when I say "was working for one employer for 18 years, and I want permanent, steady and only ONE employement here" still got that same answer "we'll contact you when we get proper position for you". How do you recon - how much per annum MCDST should say? I want only 20 000 and still can't get a job...

Certifications: A+ MOS MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP:EST MCSA MCS
    WIP: MCITP Server 2008