Hard Drive Question?

Discussion in 'A+' started by keane14, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

what Harry said ^^

As it is a copy CD, it may not have been copied properly and the files that make it bootable aren't there.

Vista comes on *DVD* there is every possibilty according to the spec that the PC in question only has a CD ROM drive. And Vista wont run on that box as the specs are way too low.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried logging in locally with 'administrator' and a blank password? One of the first things I check when auditing workstations on a network just now. Local accounts are often overlooked by network admins for some reason.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Have a go at disabling the hard drive completely, and connecting the cd drive to primary IDE device, checking the jumper settings on the cd drive are "master". and just see if the CD attempts to boot that time. It sounds weird, but ive had a few xp installation issues, where it refused to boot from the disc, until I connected the CD drive to Primary and "master".

Just googling your machine, and it seems more update than the advanced toaster I have to use, and XP runs fine on that, so you shouldnt have issues

And as Sparky said previously have a go at going through safe mode and logging in as admin...........also perhaps advise your work colleagues, they should probably wipe the drives clean before deciding to throw away future computers, just to be on the safe side, from any recoverable data which is on the drives.....:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  4. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I have tried all suggestions and nothing seems to be working. I cannot seem to log in to windows 2000, the computer keeps booting into windows 2000, if i try to boot from the cd drive i keep getting asked to press f1 to retry boot. I have changed cmos settings and jumpers and primary and secondry conections. If i have a faulty controller like someone suggested then would mean a new motherboard or am i wrong? But thanks for all suggestions and input. I am a bit lost at the moment, would it be better for me to buy a working cheap computer off ebay to play around with?

Regards.

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  5. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

According to the specs that were linked to in this thread this machine has a floppy drive. Have you tried to boot with a bootable floppy?

In some extreme cases where I couldn't get anything else to work I have used a program, small enought to fit on a floppy, called 'slate' to zero out the first sectors of the hard drive.

I seem to remember there were options on some Dells to defeat the 'change boot order' option. I am wondering if this has been done here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi,

Sorry for no update for a bit i have been away, i tried all suggestions and nothing worked so i decided to get my self a proper version of XP Pro and it seems to be working!

Lesson learned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  8. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Good job, dodgy copies are only going to cause problems. Keep it legit:biggrin Glad to hear things are working now!

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA