Hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Aug 15, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi all i need to pick your brains. Ive had trouble putting win xp on my HD which already had xp on anyway . I didnt want to reformat the whole thing as ive loads of music on there.

basically the windows set up stops with 13 mins to go and ive also tried another xp disc with the same result, does anyone know of a way i can save all my music as i tried to connect the 2 HDs together but it was having none of it .

Any ideas would be really appreciated :rolleyes:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm a little confused here. You have an XP machine with all your music on it. You tried to load XP over XP and the (re)installation isn't taking. You want to save your music by trying to connect two HDDs together.

I don't think I have all the information here. Is something wrong with your current XP installation? If you've got an issue and are trying to get your music off the XP machine before it explodes, you might want to make it easy on yourself and buy a large USB external hard drive and transfer your music there. After that, you can worry about your hard drive and XP install (assuming your machine isn't hosed in some way that prevents this).

Not quite sure what issue you had and why you couldn't add a second hard drive to your computer. I'm including links to three different tutorials on how to add a second hard drive to your computer:

http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/sep02/031002.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6030_install-second-hard.html

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm

Try to provide more details on the exact nature of your dilemna so we can better help out here. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I take you have two hard drives.

It sounds to me as if the XP install is completely hosed, so what I would do is format the second hard drive and install XP on it, after making sure it is now the master drive and the one XP is now installed on is a slave drive. Then you can access your music on that drive. Or, you can take that drive, install it as a slave on another computer, and burn all the music to dvd's or cd's.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. zxspectrum

I have no idea what *hosed is at all??? Basically i managed to get a screen backdrop telling me that my computer had been infected with spyware and also had a trojan. Now i got rid of these but one thing i could nt do is get my backdrop back to normal.

Its just the basic one of the hill and the blue sky but when i went to do it there was no options for it as the spyware / virus has erased it , hence why i tried to reload windows xp on without formatting. Hopefully tha makes sense to you , thanks for your links to the site im just about to check them out

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The term "hosed" usually mean something is completely broken. A "hosed" OS install means that it is completely fubar (f**ked up beyond all recognition). Besides not having any options for your desktop background, are there any other issues with your computer? I suspect that there are if you can't conduct a repair operation from the original disk.

6. ffreeloader

LOL. Sorry, "hosed" means so screwed up it's beyond repair so you need to do a complete reinstall. I guess it's a colloquialism understandable only here in the US.

If you have a trojan and a very bad spyware infection I'd still recommend that you go the way I recommended in the first place. When your computer has been that thoroughly compromised it will never be trustworthy. So, install Windows on another hard drive and delete everything but your music off the one XP is now installed on. That's how you can save your music.

For situations just such as this I always create multiple partitions on my hard drives. Then if the OS needs to be reinstalled I can wipe out the OS partition and not worry about wiping out all the files I've saved. Two hard drives and regular backups are the best solution, but if you've only got one drive multiple partitions are the best way to go imho.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Do you just mean that that one image has gone from the options in "Background" - or your literally cannot change your wallpaper at all ?

EDIT: "hosed" is a kind of Stateside term for cream crackered !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hijack Alert!

Cream Crackered

Seems to be related to:

Knackered

:eek:

9. ffreeloader

LOL. I can explain why "hosed" means in very bad shape, but I can't even imagine how to get to something being in very bad shape from "cream crackered". :biggrin

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

lol. Ah, sweet rhyming slag. My PC is cream crackered, so once I've got off the dog and bone to the helpdesk, I'm going out for a ruby murray.

And now: :offtopic

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. zxspectrum

well again im stuck. This may sound daft but which drive do i determine as the primary, i can only think that the one im using now wuld be the primary and the one that has gone hosed would be the secondary/slave. Now reading the links before , i was told to look for a IDE ribbons that will cannect stuff like CD and HD to my mother board, i have tried to take the cd out and replace this with the old HD that i want my tunes from, but basically it doesnt recongnise that i have any HDs at all

Now i do have a IDE Ribbonwith 3 connectors on it , one to the motherboard and the other 2 in my reckoning should be able to work perfectly as i should be able to set them up accordingly , get my tunes and then reformat the old HD. Am i right in thinking this, again any help is very much appreciated

12. ffreeloader

Dang, quite speaking Limey and start speaking English will ya? :twisted:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Have to made sure the jumpers on the master and slave are set correctly? Also notice in the illustration that the master drive needs to be connected to the end of the ribbon while the slave needs to be attached to the middle connector.

[​IMG]

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I might be missing something here but it strikes me that zxspectrum isn't really all that PC savvy at the moment and if they go down the road of re-installing the whole operating system, the chances are they will end up with more problems than lost wallpaper :eek:

Note, unless you have an image of your OS, the task of doing a re-installation of XP is a long long one. First you partition the drive, then you run the OS set-up, then you resolve any issues with drivers for video cards, sound cards, motherboard drivers for USB etc. Then when all that is hunky dory, you do the critical updates and the last time I did that there were about 45 of them and some are big. Then you install your anti virus software and do all the definition updates, then you are ready to start loading all your applications back on. Sheesh, I would turn off the wallpaper picture, it only hogs RAM anyway :blink

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. zxspectrum

well everyone i percivered and i managed to get all my tunes from the bad HD on to the good , which saves me loads of time literally. I must thank every one for their advice tho some of it was really helpful .

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just for the record, it would probably be helpful if you outlined what you did that finally worked. Chances are someone else is going to come up with a problem like this and find your solution useful. :)