Hard Drive Failing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mojorisin, Mar 4, 2006.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys

I have a colleagues pc with a failing hard drive i have put in the replacement drive and reinstalled windows got everything back running only problem is copying the files from the old drive to the new one the copy gets so far and then gives the old cyclic redundancy error

I must say the drive is in a bad way as when it fails there is a lock of clicking on the drive before the error does anyone know a way round this ?

I have tried the gentle tapping approach that sometimes works but although all the data is still accessible and you can view it and open the files when you try to copy the data it bombs out

any help would be appreciated

cheers
    Mick

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have heard that sticking a duff hard drive in the freezer for a couple of hours, inside a plastic bag to keep it dry, works sometimes. I believe it causes the metal to contract, which can free up the mechanism for long enough to retrieve the data.

Might be worth a bash?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Blue, thats a damn good idea.

I'd forgotten that trick, but it actually worked on one of my old 'Quatums' I had a few years back.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

We had a whole batch of bad HD's at work, 30mins in the freezer worked for some, a bit more desperate is dropping about 6 inches above your desk (which has also worked- when tapping is just not enough :twisted: )

Muff

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  5. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Excellent advice, Bluerinse! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. mojorisin

Nice one guys forgot about the old freezer trick myself will give it a go may aswell as the data is there just wont sustain a constant transfer

:cheers

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Have you tried putting the disk in an external hdd carrier? I've had similar problems here with a lot of laptop hdd's. Put them into the laptop and they can't be accessed but put them into the external carrier and they seem to be okay.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. mojorisin

This is a full size hard drive from a pc so at the moment it is just dangling inside the case ready for the usual tapping when it sticks

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's interesting Nugg! Maybe something to do with USB or something? Anyway, it is always worth knowing other things to try :biggrin

10. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Looking at what Bluerinse said about this, is it possibly down to the orientation of the drive in the caddy? I know a lot of external caddys have the drive on its side as opposed to flat when mounted in the PC. Could stop the heads sticking or touching the platter.

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Anything is possible, sometimes with fault finding you need to keep your eyes and ears and any other senses you have focused on the issue at hand. A multimeter is not always enough lol.

12. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

From my experience always expect the unexpected - working in the realworld you see hundreds of problems just never ever doccumented or covered in any book, course or website. It's suprising just how often clutching at straws can often produce results in I.T.

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me